Intercepting Betrothals & Forming New Ones

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Courtyard]

Lord Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish entered the main courtyard, where Queen Cersei Lannister was waiting.

"Lord Baelish." She greeted.

"Your Grace."

"I wonder if I might ask you for a favour." She began walking with him.

"Of course, Your Grace."

"I have reason to believe that House Tyrell do not hold the crown's best interests at heart."

"I see. And have you shared these suspicions with Lord Tywin?"

"My father's a practical man. He appreciates facts."

"Myself, I often find them a hindrance."

"And he appreciates those who aid his family, as you well know. He's almost as generous to those who help us as he is unpleasant towards those who don't. You have a good working relationship with the Tyrells. I thought you might look into it before you leave the capital."

"I shall do my best."

"Thank you. And your best will prove better than when I asked you to locate Arya Stark?"

"I assure you that it will."

Cersei exited.

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Tyrion's Chambers]

Podrick Payne poured wine for Lord Tyrion Lannister and Lady Olenna Tyrell.

"Gods, boy, that's enough. We're not in a tavern."

"Pardon, my lady." Podrick said.

"No need to speak. Are there any figs? Fetch some. I alwys take figs mid-afternoon. They help move the bowels. To what do I owe this summons?"

Podrick exited.

"Thank you for seeing me, my lady. I had hoped we might discuss a few financial matters."

"I climbed all those steps to discuss financial matters?"

"It's the royal wedding. I'm told you had a hand in planning it."

"Naturally."

"It's shaping up to be a very involved affair. The word extravagant has been used."

"What good is the word extravagant if it can't be used to describe a royal wedding?"

"I understand that."

"Good."

"But, as Master of Coin, it falls upon me to calculate the cost for the crown. As of now, it's a huge expense."

"And?"

"And we're at war, Lady Olenna."

"Oh, I'd nearly forgotten."

"Yes, and maintaining supply lines-"

"I can't think how it slipped my mind. What is it, twelve thousand infantrymen the Tyrell family has supplied? Two thousand in support. Provisions so this city might survive the winter. A million bushels of wheat. Half a million bushels each of barley, oats, and rye. Twenty thousand head of cattle. Fifty thousand sheep. You don't have to lecture me about wartime expenses. I'm quite familiar with them."

"And we are so grateful for your contributions which are necessary for the preservation of the realm."

"As is a royal wedding. The people are hungry for more than just food. They crave distractions. And if we don't provide them, they'll create their own. And their distractions are likely to end with us being torn to pieces. A royal wedding is much safer. Wouldn't you say?"