Imprisoned Imp

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Jail Cell]

Tyrion sat on the floor, staring aimlessly. The door unlocked and Podrick entered.

"Podrick. Apologies for the stench."

"I brought you some wine, my lord, but they took it from me."

"A noble effort."

"They didn't find the candles, though. A quill, some parchment, duck sausage, almonds, and some hard cheese." Podrick said, pulling some of those items from his pockets.

"You're a good lad. Any word of Shae?" Tyrion asked.

"I've heard nothing, my lord."

"I suppose that's a good thing. What are they saying about me out there?"

"You're to stand trial in a fortnight for murdering the king."

"Do you believe I murdered Joffrey?"

"No, my lord. You didn't?"

"No. Gods, no. The world is a better place without him, but I had nothing to do with it. I would like to think if I were arranging a royal assassination, I'd plan it in such a way that I wouldn't be standing there gawking like a fool when the king died. Trial in a fortnight. Have they announced the judges yet?"

"Your father."

"Of course."

"Mace Tyrell."

"Who will vote exactly as my father tells him to vote."

"And Prince Oberyn of Dorne."

"Oberyn? Give it to my father. He nevr fails to take advantage of a family tragedy."

"I'm supposed to get a list of names from you, my lord. Anyone who might testify on your behalf."

"Oh, I can call my own witnesses? How generous of them. Very well, my wife. Sansa."

"My lord, she's gone."

"Gone?"

"No one's seen her since the wedding. You don't think she..."

"No one had more 'cause to kill Joffrey than Sansa, but the girl is no assassin. Whoever killed the king wanted me to lose my head for it. And with my wife's disappearance, it makes me seem that much more guilty. Podrick."

"Yes, my lord?"

"They'll be following you now."

"Who will?"

"I don't know. They. They. The ominous they. The man pulling the strings. Or woman. My father. Maybe Joffrey was too much work for him. Sweet Tommen will be so much easier to handle. Whenever something bad happens to me, I assume it's my sister that had a hand in it. But say what you will of Cersei, she loves her children. She is the only one I'm certain had nothing to do with this murder. Which makes it unique as King's Landing murders go."

"Any other witnesses, my lord?"

"Varys could vouch for me if he dared."

"He's already been called as a witness for the queen."

"Of course. Fetch Bronn. I have a job for him."

"I've already asked, my lord. They won't let him see you."

"Why not?"

"They say he's a known cutthroat and your close associate. He's under investigation himself."

"And my brother? Will they at least allow me to see Jaime?"

"I'll ask, my lord." Podrick stood to leave, but hesitated. "There's something else, my lord. A man, I didn't know his face, he came to ask if I'd testify against you. Said I'd be named Ser Podrick Payne if I told the judges you'd bought a poison called the Strangler."