Siblings & Plans

[Great Sept Of Baelor - Margaery's Cell]

Margaery was sitting in the corner of her cell when Septa Unella entered, guiding her out into the prayer room where the High Sparrow waited. Margaery walked into the room, shielding her eyes from the sunlight. Septa Unella pushed Margaery to her knees before exiting.

"If I were to let you leave right now, where would you go? What would you seek out?" The High Sparrow asked.

"I'd go to my brother, my husband, my family." Margaery responded.

"Of course, but for you, that means seeking out money, finery, power. Seeking out your family means seeking out sin. I'm not maligning you. I sought those things out, too. To the exclusion of all else. My father was a cobbler. He died with I was young and I took over his shop. He was a simple man and he made simple shoes. But I found that the more work I put into my shoes, the more people wanted them. Fine leather, ornamentation, detailing, and time. Time most of all. Dozens of hours spent on a single pair."

"Quality takes time."

"Yes. I imagine you've worn a year of someone's life on your back. The highborn liked to cover their feet with my time and they paid well for the privilege. I used their money to buy a taste of their lives for myself. Each time I indulged, I felt myself ascending to something better."

"And one day you walked through a graveyard and realized it was all for nothing and set out on the path to righteousness. Book of the Stranger, verse tweny five."

"You know The Seven-Pointed Star."

"Septa Unella reads it to me. At me."

"Yes, yes, she does enjoy reading at people. You're close. But it wasn't a graveyard. It was a feast. I bought old fine wine and young pretty girls and invited my friends to come share it all. We passed around the wine, passed around the women, and soon we fell into a stupor. I woke before dawn. I could barely stand. Everyone else was asleep on the couches or on the floor, lying in heaps next to their fine clothes. The truth of their bodies laid bare. I could smell them beneath the incense and the perfume and the fine food that had already started to turn. And I saw it with perfect clarity. I saw what my sins were. The gold I had, the wine I drank, the women I used, my ceaseless struggle to maintain my position. It was all part of a story. A story I was telling myself about who I was. A collection of lies that would disappear in the light. The people I was trying to climb away from, the beggars in the street, the poor, they were closer to the truth than I ever was."

"So what did you do?"

"I left to go and find them. I didn't even put on my shoes. I walked out the door and nevr went back." The High Sparrow stood and extended his hand out to Margaery. "Come, let's go and see him."

"Who?"

"Your brother."

He led her down a dim hallway, before allowing her to enter her brother's cell. The door closed and locked behind her. Loras was lying on the floor.

"Loras. Loras." Margaery helped her brother to his knees as he cried. "Listen to me. You need to stay strong."

"I can't stay strong. I nevr was strong."

"You are strong. You are the future of our house, the future of our family."

"I don't care about that. Aegar can take my place."

"Shh. Have you-have you told them that? That you don't care?"

"I just want it to stop. Help me."

"They want me to help you. They want me told help tear you down. That's why he's letting me see you, I know it is. And if either of us give in to what they want, then they win."

"Let them win. Just make it stop. Please." Loras resumed sobbing.

Margaery embraced him. "All right."

[King's Landing - Red Keep]

Cersei was walking down the hall, Aelinor at her side, to Tommen's chamber when she heard Maestar Pycelle talking.

"And now, how to avert disaster with our current predicament. This High Sparrow. I have dealt with fanatics of every description, Your Grace. Not setting them off, that's the most important thing. You are beset with enemies both within and without."

Cersei enters the room, her daughter close behind.. "What are you doing here?"

"I am advising the king on our current predicament." Pycelle responded.

"Leave."

"I am a member of the Small Council. The king's small-"

"Is this a Small Council meeting?"

"Obviously not. I'm here to lend my wisdom and my support.

"Thank you for your counsel, Grand Maester. That will be all for now." Tommen interjected.

"Your Grace."

Maestar Pycelle hobbled towards the door. As he left, he flashed Cersei a smile. In return, Cersei closed the door.

"Since I've missed the past several Small Coucil meetings, I wanted to speak to you about a few things."

"I've been thinking about the High Sparrow."

"As have we all, unfortunately."

"We need to be careful in dealing with such a man. To prevent things from escalating any further. We have to be careful not to antagonize him. He has Margaery. We can't put her at risk. He's dangerous." Cersei took Tommen by the chin. "Look at me. What did they do to me? To the king's own mother?"

Tommen looked down.

"It's alright. It's done. It's in the past. And of course Margaery's safety is paramount."

"You don't like Margaery, do you?"