Meeting A Prince Of Dorne

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Tywin's Chambers]

Jaime stood before his father, admiring a great sword. "Magnificent."

"Mm-hmm."

"Looks fresh-forged."

"It is."

"No one's made a Valyrian steel sword since the Doom of Valyria."

"There are three living smiths who know how to rework Valyrian steel. The finest of them was in Volantis. Came here to King's Landing at my invitation."

"Where did you get this much Valyrian steel?"

"From someone who no longer had need of it."

Yes, one no longer needed a sword when they had no head.

Jaime nodded, hefting the blade. "You've wanted one of these in the family for a long time." 

The Lannister Great Sword, Brightroar, had been lost when then King Tommen Lannister II attempted to travel to the ruins of Old Valyria, to plunder the resources he was sure remained. But he, nor Brightboar, were seen again. Jaime's favourite uncle, Gerion, disappeared in his pursuit of the sword.

"And now we have two."

"Two?"

"The original weapon was absurdly large. Plenty of steel for two swords."

"Well, thank you. It's glorious." Jaime attempts to sheath the sword into the cover lying on the table, but failed awkwardly. His father watched as the sheath bobbled, holding it in place, allowing him to properly sheathe the sword.

"You'll have to train your left hand."

"Any decent swordsman knows how to use both hands."

"You'll nevr be as good."

"No. But as long as I'm better than everyone else, I suppose it doesn't matter."

"You can't serve in the Kingsguard with one hand."

"Where's that written? I can and I will. The Kingsguard oath is for life."

"The war is over. The king is safe."

"The king is nevr safe. How many people in this city alone would love to see his head on a pike? Including his own sister at times." Jaime said.

"Don't worry Uncle," a voice sounded from the doorway. Aelinor. "I know we share certain features but I have no interest in following the footsteps of Targaryen men or my father and becoming a Kinslayer. No, when I kill someone, at least I know they deserved it." At this last remark, she shot a pointed stare at her grandfather, who huffed, turning back to Jaime. 

"Other knights protected the king while you were a prisoner. They will continue to do so when you go home." Tywin told him, ignoring his granddaughter.

"Home?"

"You'll return to Casterly Rock and rule in my stead."

"You are the Lord of Casterly Rock."

"I am the King's Hand. My place is here. I don't expect to see the Rock again before I die."

"You know what they call me? Kingslayer. Oathbreaker. Man without honor. Now you want me to break another sacred vow."

"You won't be breaking anything. There is a precedent to relieve a Kingsguard of his duties. The king will exercise that prerogative."

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"I don't believe I asked you a question."