Return To The North & Plans

[Winterfell - Courtyard]

Sansa, Arya and Bran stood, or sat, in the courtyard, awaiting the return of their brother.

Besides Arya, who was unaware, they agreed to continue referring to him as their brother. Little had changed besides finding out their father was nevr unfaithful to their mother.

They watched as Jon, Ser Davos and the Stark guards who had ventured with them returned, trotting through the gates on horseback.

The moment he saw Arya, he dismounted his horse and hurried to her, allowing her to throw herself in his arms.

He enjoyed every second of it, before breaking away.

He leaned down and hugged Bran before turning to Sansa. "Glad to see you've kept this place running well in my absence."

"Did you doubt me?"

"Not at all. You alwys were the perfect Lady." He hugged her. "Littlefinger?"

"Gone."

Per his request, Littlefinger had been sent away, along with the Knights of the Vale.

At first, this confused the other Northerners, but they cautioned against questioning her intent.

She had told Jon and her siblings how she watched him murder Aunt Lysa, throwing her through the moon door. Before that, he had also killed Ser Dontos Hollard, the man who helped her flee King's Landing.

The only reason she lied for him was because he promised to help her regain Winterfell. But, he didn't mention it would involve marrying Ramsay.

Using this, she persuaded him to venture to King's Landing with the Knights of the Vale, where they were either to broker peace or sack the city.

"Very well. I'd like us to continue our conversation in my chambers."

They all nodded and followed after him.

[Jon's Chambers]

After greeting his siblings, he requested they meet him in his chambers before the meeting with the other lords.

"Tyrion has been failing as Daenerys' Hand. They've lost the support Dorne, the Iron Islands and the Reach. Princess Aelinor warned them of attacks on these allies, but was dismissed."

"How did she know about them?" Arya asked.

"Apparently, she has begun having dreams."

"Dragon dreams," Bran corrected.

"Really?" Sansa asked and Bran nodded.

"She wouldn't allow me to leave or aid us unless I bent the knee."

"And you did it?" Arya said, incredulously. "Robb and his men freed the North."

"I know. Which is why I did it. I have no intention of truly bending the knee, but I needed to make it appear that way so I could come back to Winterfell. She is sending one of her advisors North to work with us, and help us capture a Wight, which she still doesn't believe exists, to prove to Cersei whether or not the stories are true."

"They are," Arya piped up.

"I know that, and you know that, but they don't."

"Who is she sending?" Sansa asked.

"Jorah Mormont," Bran answered before Jon could.

They all recognized the name.

[Great Hall]

The men and women were chattering amongst themselves in the hall. But, they quickly grew quiet as the Stark siblings entered and sat at the high table.

"I thank you for being patient." Jon said. "Daenerys Targaryen has agreed to send one of her men North with us to hunt one of the army of the dead."

The murmurs began.

"We intend to bring it to King's Landing and show it to Cersei, to prove that this threat is real. We need as many men as we can muster if we are to win this fight."

"Who is this man?" Robett Glover asked.

Jon took a deep breath before responding. "Jorah Mormont."

Murmurs grew louder.

"The man you father wished to execute for being a slaver."

"And my cousin," Lyanna Mormont chimed in.

"Aye. But, if we are to prove the existence of this threat to humanity, we must do this. It is the surest way of showing everyone how imminent this threat is. With it right in front of them, there will be no way to overlook this. The more living fighters we have, the better our chances are for survival. This isn't about Houses. If we die, our houses die, our names die. We must prevent that from happening."

"What about the Dragon Queen?" One of the Northern lords asked. "Is she joining us?"

"When we provide proof and secure a truce with Cersei, yes."

"And you think you can trust Cersei Lannister to keep her word?" Lyanna asked. "She blew up the Sept of Baelor, killing the Tyrells, the Faith, and her own uncle. How can you be sure someone like that will help us and not stab us in the back?"

"You want the truth? I don't know. But, what I do know is, if it is just us fighting, we won't stand a chance against what's coming. We need more fighters."

"Look," Sansa stood. "I know Cersei better than anyone here. She is vile, cruel, vengeful and deceitful. She has lost both of her sons and both of her daughters left her. Her children were her tether. They were what kept her grounded. But, when something or someone threatened that bond, she found a way to get rid of them."

"And yet she lost all of her children." Another Northern lord commented.

"Exactly. Which is why we will do our best to force Cersei to join us. It's not about being Queen. If she wants to live, for her daughters to live, she will make the right choice."

Or so one could only hope.