Unlikely Ally

[King's Landing, Tyrion's Cell]

Ser Jaime Lannister and Tyrion Lannister stood in Tyrion's jail cell.

"I made a deal for you to keep your ungrateful head on your ungrateful neck a little while longer." Jaime chastised.

"I'm sorry, what am I grateful for? The opportunity to live and die at the Wall as punishment for a crime I did not commit?"

"You threw your life away. You threw it away. It's not a joke. You understand that, don't you?"

"Of course it's a joke, just not a very funny one. I couldn't- I couldn't listen to her standing there telling her lies. I couldn't do it."

"You fell in love with a whore."

"Yes, I fell in love with a whore. And I was stupid enough to think that she had fallen in love with me. That deal you made, it was everything Father wanted. You do see that? He gets you back as his heir. The future Lord of the Rock. And he ships me off to Castle Black, out of sight at last. All so perfect. It felt good to take that from him. He knows I'm innocent and he's willing to sacrifice me anyway. He's willing to sacrifice any of us. Not you. You're the golden son. You could kill a king, lose a hand, fuck your own sister, you'll alwys be the golden son."

"Careful. I'm the last friend you've got."

"At least I got to tell them what they really are."

"Yes, brilliant speech. They'll be talking about it for dais to come. I thought you were a realist. Didn't realize you'd die for pride."

"Don't give up on me just yet. I survived one trial by combat, even though you weren't there to save me."

"I can't save you this time either. My training has proved that I can't beat a stable boy with my left hand."

"Where's your sense of adventure? Even if you lose, imagine the look on Father's face when you fall." Tryon said, causing his brother to laugh. "Our family name snuffed out with a single swing of the sword."

"It is tempting."

"Well... Bronn fought for me once, he'll do it again. If he wins, I expect I'll be in his debt for the rest of my life."

"If he wins."

"Will you find him for me? Who does Cersei plan on naming as a champion? I hope it's Ser Meryn Trant. I'd enjoy watching Bronn disembowel that pompous child beater."

"No. Not Ser Meryn."

Later that night, Tyrion sat in the dark, sadly.

After his brother had left, Bronn came for a short visit. It was then he found out Cersei's champion was The Mountain. A wise choice. Unfortunate for him. Not many would dare go against The Mountain.

The door opened and Prince Oberyn Martell entered, bearing a torch.

"I imagined you'd be back at the brothel at this hour." Tyrion quipped.

"I did spend some time with an absolutely stunning blonde the other day."

"Mm, do tell. I've got every kind of filth down here except the kind I like."

Oberyn put down his torch and sat. "Your sister."

"Oh."

"Cersei approached me. We spoke a great deal about her younger daughter. How worried your sister is about her. She was trying very hard to pretend she had not come to sway me against you. I think she may have even believed it herself."

"Making honest feelings do dishonest work is one of her many gifts."

"It was difficult for her to hide her true intentions. It is rare to meet a Lannister who shares my enthusiasm for dead Lannisters. She desperately wants to see you killed."

"She didn't need to bother you. It looks as though I've taken care of that myself. The joy she will feel when my head leaves my neck. She's wanted this for a long time."

"Yes, I know. We met, you and I. Many years ago." Oberyn told him.

"I think I would have remembered that."

"Unlikely. You had just been born. Our father brought me and my sister Elia with him on a visit to Casterly Rock. My first time away from Dorne. I didn't like anything about the Rock. Not the food, not the weather, your accents. Nothing. But the biggest disappointment... you."

"You and my family have more in common than you might admit."

"The whole way from Dorne all anyone talked about was the monster that had been born to Tywin Lannister. A head twice the size of his body, a tail between his legs, claws, one red eye, the privates of both a girl and a boy."

"That would have made things so much easier."

"When we met your sister, she promised she would show you to us. Evey day we would ask. Evey day she would say, "Soon." Then she and your brother took us to your nursery and... she unveiled the freak. Your head was a bit large. Your arms and legs were a bit small, but no claw. No red eye. No tail between your legs. Just a tiny pink cock. We didn't try to hide our disappointment. "That's not a monster," I told Cersei. "That's just a baby." And she said, "He killed my mother." And she pinched your little cock so hard, I thought she might pull it off. Until your brother made her stop. "It doesn't matter," she told us. "Everyone says he will die soon. I hope they are right. He should not have lived this long."

"Well... sooner or later, Cersei always gets what she wants."

"And what about what I want? Justice for my sister and her children. Lorch is dead. Now it's just The Mountain."

"If you want justice, you've come to the wrong place."

"I disagree." Oberyn rose. "I've come to the perfect place. I want to bring those who have wronged me to justice. And all those who have wronged me are right here. I will begin with Ser Gregor Clegane, who killed my sister's children and then raped her with their blood still on his hands before killing her, too. I will be your champion."

With that, he left.

Not long after, the door opened again, causing Tyrion to look up. Aelinor.

"I heard a certain Prince of Dorne has agreed to be your champion."

"Aye."

"Well, I'd say you lucked out. His skills are legend."

"His skills may be legendary, but he's going up against The Mountain."

"Who is slow and dim-witted. Plus he has vengeance on his mind. For his sister, niece and nephew."

"Yes. But, will vengeance alone be enough to save me from my predetermined fate?"

"I suppose we will have to wait and see, Uncle."

The duo sat talking for a little while longer, about anything and everything, until the guards informed her it was time to leave.

(A/N:  I will need to be careful. I noticed the numbers of chapters weren't lining up and finally realized I somehow forgot to publish this chapter. I guess I should have double checked. Apologies.)