New Friends & Conversation With The King

[King's's Landing - Red Keep, Gardens]

In the gardens, Sansa sat with her new friend and confidante, Margaery Tyrell.

"Growing up at Winterfell, all I ever wanted was to escape, to come here to the capital. See the southern knights and their painted armor and King's Landing after dark- all the candles burning in all those windows. I'm stupid. A stupid little girl with stupid dreams who nevr learns."

"Come on. Come walk with me."

They stood and began to walk, arm in arm.

"I remember the first time I saw you in the throne room. I'd nevr seen anyone who looked so unhappy. I want very much for you to be happy, Sansa, and so does my grandmother."

Margaery stopped and picked a rose. "You would have been happy at Highgarden. But women in our position must make the best of our circumstances."

"How do I make the best of my circumstances? I have to marry him."

Margaery handed the rose to Sansa.

"Has Lord Tyrion mistreated you?"

"No."

They continued walking.

"Has he been kind to you?"

"He's tried."

"You don't want him, though."

"He's a Lannister."

"Far from the worst Lannister, wouldn't you say?"

"I'm sorry. Here I am complaining to you."

"My son will be king. Sons learn from their mothers. I plan to teach mine a great deal. And your son, if I'm not mistaken, your son might be the Lord of Casterly Rock and the North someday. What?"

"My son with him. I'll have to- we'll have to-"

"If it's the pain you're worried about-"

"I'm not afraid of the pain. Not after what Joffrey's done to me."

"What is it, then? He's rather good-looking even with the scar. Especially with the scar."

"He's a dwarf. And Alester's- Alester."

"Some women like tall men. Some like short men. Some like hairy men. Some like bald men. Gentle men, rough men, ugly men, pretty men, pretty girls. Most women don't know what they like until they've tried it. And, sadly, so many of us get to try so little before we're old and gray. Tyrion may surprise you. From what I've heard, he's quite experienced."

"And that's a good thing?"

"It can be. We're very complicated, you know. Pleasing us takes practice."

"How do you know all this? Did your mother teach you?"

Margaery took Sansa's arm. "Yes, sweet girl. My mother taught me."

[Red Keep - Tyrion's Chambers]

Lord Tyrion Lannister and Ser Bronn Of The Blackwater sat, drinking wine.

"She's a child." Tyrion mutered, still dismayed at his betrothal to Sansa.

"She's a foot taller than you."

"A tall child."

"What's the youngest you've ever had?"

"Not that young."

"How much older?"

"Older."

"You're a lord, she's a lady. And a beauty at that. I don't see the problem."