Mockingbird In The Capital

[King's Landing - Knight's Of The Vale Encampment]

Littlefinger had been in the Capital for some timr now, at the request of Lady Sansa.

His orders; obtain Cersei's aid or sack the city.

But his intentions ran much deeper than that.

His endgame finally had an end in sight.

If he continued to be patient and play the game, he would achieve the ultimate prize.

Cersei had reached a deal with the Iron Bank of Braavos upon the sacking of Highgarden, her grandson's seat.

But, still, even with this one time repayment, he was sure he could convinced the Iron Bank to become loyal to him.

As Master of Coin, despite the ridiculous spending habits of the King, he had managed to repay them, plus interest, with revenue from his brothels.

That was prior to the uprising of the Faith.

Now, he was focused on rebuilding his wealth.

He was pulled out of his thoughts when a young serving girl entered, carrying a tray of food.

"Ah, thank you." He looked up, noticing she hadn't left. "Can I help you?"

"I don't know. Can you?"

"I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean."

"You don't recognize me?"

Frustrated, the girl peeled back her face, revealing herself to be Arya Stark.

Littlefinger was taken aback for a moment, but quickly regained his composure.

That was until Arya placed her new Valyrian steel dagger against his neck.

"Threatened with my own dagger. How embarrassing."

"Not as embarrassing as being killed by it."

"Wait, wait! What do you want?"

"What happened the day of my father's arrest? You're the only left who was there, other than Cersei, who I obviously can't ask."

"Are you sure you wish to do this?" His answer was the dagger being applied with more pressure. "Okay, okay. I know why you've come here. You want the same thing I do."

"Oh yeah? What is that?"

"Cersei dead."

"Go on."

"I will if you'd be so kind as to removed the dagger."

She glared at him, appearing to be contemplating, before she slowly removed the dagger.

"Thank you," he said. "You see, killing me serves you no purpose. If you decide to stay, you can use your new skills to get close enough to kill Cersei. Of course, if you don't, you'll lose the opportunity to kill her and either I or the Dragon Queen will."

"And how would I do that? Surely she has members of the Queensguard guarding her."

"Yes, but you should be able to find ways around that tiny glitch in your plan."

"Does Cersei know you're here?"

"There is very little she does not know. You can thank her maestar/Hand for that. He took over Varys' little birds. I have convinced her that, as acting Lord of the Vale, I now control their Knights and choose who they fight for."

"How can I trust you won't turn me into Cersei the second an opportunity is presented."

"I loved your mother. I couldn't protect her. But, I can protect her daughters."

"I don't need protecting."

"I'm sure you don't."

"What I need to do is find out who is left to kill."

"Who's left?"

"On my list."

On her journey to King's Landing, she was incredibly frustrated to find out that most of the people on her list were dead. Joffrey, killed at his own wedding. Tywin, killed by his son. The Mountain, killed by Prince Oberyn. Ilyn Payne, dying of sickness.

But there was still the Red Woman, Beric Dondarrion and Thoros Of Myr. Not to mention Cersei.

Her friend Gendry had been sold to the Red Woman by Beric and Thoros who were members of the Brotherhood Without Banners.

"What about Beric Dondarrion, Thoros Of Myr, the Red Woman?"

"They are likely dead. No one has heard from them."

"You mean to tell me Cersei is the only person on my list that is still alive?"

Littlefinger nodded. "I'm glad you two get along. Surprised, but glad."

"Why would you be surprised?"

"I mean, you left your sister in the capital, alone."

"I had no choice. Sansa was betrothed to Joffrey. They wouldn't hurt her. Me, I was disposable. Far too wild."

"And yet you managed to hide right under their noses."

"What are you talking about?"

"You think I didn't recognize you? At Harrenhal? You might have cut your hair and changed your name, but I would recognize you anywhere."

"Yet you didn't tell. Why not? You held no allegiance to my house."

"As I have told you, I loved your mother. I would not allow you to be held prisoner like your sister, or worse, killed. Your mother would nevr forgive me."

"Yet you worked for the family that helped murder ours."

"Yes, a decision I wholeheartedly regret. One that was not made lightly. If I died, there would be no one to help your sister flee King's Landing. The Bolton's would hold Winterfell."

"Or they could end up like the Freys."

He looked up at her, noting how casually she played with her dagger.

"Yes, I suppose they could."

"And they did. Their name gone. A most fitting end, really. Sad I was not there to see it. I'm sure it was magnificent." She pulled something from her coat. "By the way, this came for you." She handed him a letter. "If that is all, I am off to plan."

Watching as she exited, he waited a minute or two before opening the letter.

Lord Baelish,

The Iron Bank of Braavos is in agreeance that you were much more reliable with repayments than the current Queen.

However, we are also in agreeance that we cannot support you if you choose to lay claim to the Iron Throne.

You have no place in the line of succession, no matter which Queen lives.

Not to mention, the elder brother of the Dragon Queen and eldest daughter of Robert Baratheon.

We humbly thank your your loyal and dedicated service.

Tycho Nestoris

This was only a minor setback. But, one that needed to be dealt with swiftly.