Battle Preparation

[Castle Black - Dining Hall]

Jon, Sansa, Brienne, Theon, Dolorous Edd, Davos, Tormund, and Melisandre were gathered around a table. A map was spread out on the table with tokens indicating houses laid on its surface.

"We can't defend the north from the Walkers and the south from the Boltons. If we want to survive, we need Winterfell, and to take Winterfell, we need more men." Jon said.

"Aside from the Starks and the Boltons, the most powerful houses in the North are the Umbers, the Karstarks, and the Manderlys." Davos stood and moved some of the tokens to Winterfell. "The Umbers and the Karstarks have already declared for the Boltons, so we're not doing so well there. The Manderlys as well, meaning they have all the most powerful houses on their side."

"The Umbers gave Rickon to our enemies. They can hang. But the Karstarks declared for Ramsay without knowing they had another choice. As did the Manderlys." Sansa said. "Besides, before I left, there was dissention between the Manderlys and some of the Frey soldiers whom had been sent by the father."

"I beg your pardon, my lady, but the Karstarks know that a Stark beheaded their father. I don't think we can count on them either."

"How well do you know the North, Ser Davos?"

"Precious little, my lady."

"My father alwys said Northerners are different. More loyal, more suspicious of outsiders."

"They may well be loyal, but how many rose up against the Boltons when they betrayed your family? I may not know the North, but I know men. They're more or less the same in any corner of the world and even the bravest of them don't want to see their wives and children skinned for a lost cause. If Jon's going to convince them to fight alongside him, they need to believe it's a fight they can win."

"There are more than three other houses in the North -- Glover, Mormont, Cerwyn, Mazin, Hornwood. Two dozen more. Together they equal all the others. We can start small and build." Jon said.

"The North remembers. They remember the Stark name. People will still risk everything for it, from White Harbor to Ramsay's own door." Sansa reminded them.

"I don't doubt it. But Jon doesn't have the Stark name."

"No, but I do." She said, causing Jon to stare at her. "Jon is every bit as much Ned Stark's son as Ramsay is Roose Bolton's. Ant there are also the Tullys. They're not Northern, but they will back us against the Boltons without question.

"I didn't know the Tullys still had an army." Davos said.

"My uncle the Blackfish has reformed it and retaken Riverrun."

"How do you know that?" Jon asked her.

"Ramsay received a raven before I escaped Winterfell."

"That's good. The Blackfish is a legend. His support would mean a great deal. Stark, Tully, a few more houses, almost starts to look like a winning side." Davos noted.

Sansa smiled, before exiting, followed by Brienne.

Brienne follows Sansa down the stairs and along a walkway.

"I've sworn to protect you, my lady." Brienne told her.

"You heard them. We need more men and my uncle has an army."

"We can send the Blackfish a raven."

"Can't risk Ramsay intercepting it. It has to be you."

They entered Sansa's chamber and Brienne closed the door behind them.

"Ride for Riverrun. My uncle will talk to you and you'll know how to talk to him." Sansa sat down on her bed. "What is it?"

"I don't like leaving you here alone."

"With Jon?"

"Not him. He seems trustworthy. A bit brooding, perhaps. I suppose that's understandable, considering. The others, though. Davos and the Red Woman helped a man murder his own brother with blood magic. And when Stannis paid for his crime, where were they? Already out looking for a leader with better prospects. And that wildling fellow with the beard-"

"Jon isn't Tormund. Jon isn't Davos, the Red Woman, or Stannis for that matter. Jon is Jon. He's my brother. He'll keep me safe. I trust him."

"Then why did you lie to him when he asked you how you learned about Riverrun?"

Sansa was unsure how to answer.

She had received a raven, which led her and Brienne to travel to Mole's Town, where they met Littlefinger.

How was she to tell Jon that Littlefinger, a man not even she fully trusted, had given her this information along with the soldiers of the Vale.

[Castle Black - Courtyard]

Several men of the Night's Watch were readying horses, Jon standing beside them. Melisandre sat on her horse behind them and Brienne walked past.

Sansa approached Jon, carrying a bundled cloak.

"New dress?" Jon asked.

"I made it myself. Do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's-I like the wolf bit."

"Good, because I made this for you." Sansa handed him the cloak.

Jon looked at it, noting the direwolf sigil of House Stark pressed into the leather straps.

"I made it like the one Father used to wear. As near as I can remember."

"Thank you, Sansa."

"You're welcome." She walked away.

Brienne was sitting on horseback beside Tormund who stared at her. She caught him staring and looked away, causing the man to grin.

Edd approached Jon, who was donning his new cloak.

"Don't knock it down while I'm gone." Jon quipped.

"I'll do my best." He told Jon, before embracing him. "Good luck."

Jon walked to his horse and climbed atop it before leading Sansa, Melisandre, Podrick, Brienne, Tormund, and the rest of the party out through the southern gates.

A man of the Night's Watch approached Edd, who was watching them leave. "Should we close the gate, Lord Commander?"

"I'm not the Lord Comman-" The men of the Night's Watch gathered around him. "Yeah, ahem, close the bloody gate."

The title would take a little getting used to. That's for sure.