Arrival & First Small Council

Almost immediately upon arriving, Lord Stark was called to a small council meeting.

He left his daughters with their Septa and Jory, his trusted guard, and made his way inside.

"Get the girls settled in. I'll be back in time for supper. And, Jory, you go with them."

"Yes, my Lord."

"If you'd like to change into something more appropriate..." The page trailed off, seeing the unamused stare of Lord Stark.

He was led inside to the throne room, which was connected to the Small Council chamber.

There he found Jaime Lannister; the Kingslayer.

"Thank the gods you're here, Stark. About time we had some stern northern leadership."

"Glad to see you're protecting the throne."

"Sturdy old thing. How many kings' asses have polished it, I wonder ? What's the line ? The King sh¡ts and the Hand wipes."

"Very handsome armour. Not a scratch on it." Lord Stark gestured to the impeccable condition of the man's Kingsguard armour.

"I know. People have been swinging at me for years, but they alwys seem to miss."

"You've chosen your opponents wisely then."

"I have a knack for it. It must be strange for you coming into this room. I was standing right here when it happened. He was very brave, your brother. Your father too. They didn't deserve to die like that. Nobody deserves to die like that."

"But you just stood there and watched."

"500 men just stood there and watched. All the great knights of the Seven Kingdoms. You think anyone said a word, lifted a finger? No, Lord Stark. 500 men and this room was silent as a crypt. Except for the screams, of course, and the Mad King laughing. And later... When I watched the Mad King die, I remembered him laughing as your father burned... It felt like justice."

"Is that what you tell yourself at night? You're a servant of justice? That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword in Aerys Targaryen's back?"

"Tell me... If I'd stabbed the Mad King in the belly instead of the back, would you admire me more?"

"You served him well when serving was safe."

"Lord Stark." He turned to see Lord Varys, the Master of Whispers. 

"Lord Varys."

 "I was grievously sorry to hear of your troubles on the Kingsroad. We are all praying for Prince Joffrey's full recovery."

"A shame you didn't say a prayer for the butcher's son. Renly! You're looking well." He said, before greeting King Robert's youngest brother at they entered the Small Council chamber. 

"And you look tired from the road. I told them this meeting could wait another day, but..."

"But we have a Kingdom to look after. I've hoped to meet you for some time, Lord Stark. No doubt Lady Catelyn has mentioned me." Another man with salt and pepper hair interrupted.

"She has, Lord Baelish. I understand you knew my brother Brandon as well."

"All too well. I still carry a token of his esteem from navel to collarbone."

"Perhaps you chose the wrong man to duel with." Ned admonished. 

"It wasn't the man that I chose, my Lord. It was Catelyn Tully. A woman worth fighting for, I'm sure you'll agree."

There was a silent stare down between the two men.

"I humbly beg your pardon, my Lord Stark." Maestar Pycelle interjected.