Gathering Allies

[South Of The Wall - Wilding Encampment]

Jon, Sansa, Davos, Tormund, and Wun Wun were meeting with Dim Dalba and the other Wildling leaders. They were all gathered around a fire pit.

"We said we'd fight with you, King Crow, when the time comes and we meant it, but this isn't what we agreed to. These aren't White Walkers. This isn't an army of the dead. This isn't our fight." Dim Dalba said.

"If it weren't for him, none of us would be here. All of you would be meat in the Night King's army. And I'd be a pile of charred bones just like Mance." Tormund replied.

"Remember Mance's camp? It stretched all the way to the horizon. And look at us now. Look what's left of us. And if we lose this, we're gone. Dozens of tribes, hundreds of generations. Be like we were nevr there at all. We'll be the last of the free folk."

"That's what'll happen to you if we lose. The Boltons, the Karstarks, the Umbers, the Manderlys, they know you're here. They know that more than half of you are women and children. After they finish with me, they'll come for you. You're right. This isn't your fight. You shouldn't have to come to Winterfell with me. I shouldn't be asking you. It's not the deal we made. I need you with me if we're gonna beat them, and we need to beat them if you're going to survive." Jon told them.

Tormund gestured to Jon. "The crows killed him because he spoke for the free folk when no other southerners would. He died for us. If we are not willing to do the same for him, we're cowards. And if that's what we are, we deserve to be the last of the free folk."

Wun Wun stood. "Snow." He said before walking away.

Dim Dalba looked at the men around him, one of them nodding. He walked up to Jon and held out his hand. Jon took it and Dim Dalba returned to his men.

"Are you sure they'll come?" Jon asked Tormund.

"We're not clever like you southerners. When we say we'll do something, we do it."

Jon exhaled.

Their next stop; Bear Island, the ancestral seat of House Mormont.

[Bear Island - Castle Audience Chamber]

Lyanna Mormont sat at a high table flanked by a commander and a maester. Jon, Sansa, and Davos entered and some guards closed the doors behind them.

"Lady Mormont." Jon greeted.

"Welcome to Bear Island."

Jon looked at Sansa.

"I remember when you were born, my lady. You were named for my Aunt Lyanna. It was said she was a great beauty. I'm sure you will be, too."

"I doubt it. My mother wasn't a great beauty or any other kind of beauty. She was a great warrior, though. She died fighting for your brother, Robb."

"I served under your uncle at Castle Black, Lady Lyanna. He was also a great warrior and an honorable man. I was his steward. In fact-"

"I think we've had enough small talk. What are you here?"

"Stannis Baratheon garrisoned at Castle Black before he mqrched on Winterfell and was killed. He showed me the letter you wrote to him when he petitioned for men. It said-"

"I remember what it said. 'Bear Island knows no king but the King in he North whose name is Stark'."

"Robb is gone, but House Stark is not. And it needs your support now more than ever. I've come with my sister to ask for House Mormont's allegiance."

Lyanna leaned towards her maester and they whispered to each other before Lyanna turned back to face Jon.

"As far as I understand, you're a Snow and Lady Sansa is a Bolton. Or is she a Lannister? I've heard conflicting reports."

"I did what I had to do to survive, my lady. But I am a Stark. I will alwys be a Stark."

"If you say so. In any case, you don't just want my allegiance. You want my fighting men."

"Ramsay Bolton cannot be allowed to keep Winterfell, my lady. It is our duty to stop him. Even more so because he holds our brother Rickon Stark as prisoner. What you have to understand, my lady, is that-"

"I understand that I'm responsible for Bear Island and all who live here. So why should I sacrifice one more Mormont life for someone else's war?"

Jon and Sansa fell silent.

Davos stepped forward. "If it please, my lady, I understand how you feel."

"I don't know you, Ser...?"

"Davos, my lady, of House Seaworth."

Lyanna turned to her maester.