Winterfell Gathers Its Banners

[Winterfell - Great Hall]

The bannermen of House Stark had gathered and were all eating, drinking and carrying on.

At the main table, Robb, Bran and Theon were seated. Under Robb's chair, his direwolf, Grey Wind was curled up on the ground. Also at the table were Jon "Greatjon" Umber, Lord of Last Hearth, Garth Dragen, the Lord Defender of the North as well as Ethan and Duncan and his vassal Ryger Mollen, Gregor Forrester and his son Rodrik, Hendrick Grayburn, Lord of Brightbank and his squire Sammith, as well as his vassals Trytas Nyte and Anthor Dyser. Many more lords and knights were also seated in the hall.

Along the walls were the banners of Houses Bolton, Hornwood, Grayburn, Dragen, Umber, Karstark, Manderly and Tallhart.

"For thirty years, I've been making corpses out of men, boy. I'm the man you want leading the vanguard." Greatjon Umber told him.

"Garth Dragen will lead the van. It is his duty as Lord Defender." Robb informed him.

"I won't fail you, my lord." Dragen promised.

"The bloody Wall will melt before an Umber marches behind a Dragen!" Greatjon stated.

"You're out of line, Lord Umber. If he says Lord Dragen will lead the van, then that means Lord Dragen will lead the van." Hendrick Grayburn told him.

Greatjon turned to face Hendrick. "Who asked you, Grayburn? You probably just wanna lead the van yourself."

"Or maybe I'm just respecting my liege-lord's wishes, like you should."

Greatjon glared angrily at Hendrick, then turns back to Robb.

"Jon, please. You're making a fool of yourself. Everyone knows a Dragen has more brains than an Umber." Garth taunted, smugly.

"You've got some fuckin' nerve, Snake! Why would I mqrch behind a man who can't even keep his own fuckin' sons under control?! All you Dragens are mad! Especially the ones who breed monster-spawn!" Greatjon spat furiously.

This was clearly a jab at Lucas. Garth angrily stood up.

"You son of a whore! How dare you insult my son!"

He rushed towards Greatjon, but was restrained by Duncan and Ethan. Greatjon advanced on Garth as well, but was likewise restrained by Gregor and Rodrik.

"Seven hells! Calm down, both of you!" Gregor told them.

"Get off me, Forrester!" Greatjon told him.

"Garth, calm down! He's just trying to rile you up." Ethan told Garth.

"Yeah, don't let him have the satisfaction..." Duncan agreed.

"That's enough, both of you! Did we come here to fight the Lannisters, or did we come here to fight each other?!" Hendrick stood, shouting furiously at the pair.

Greatjon threw Gregor and Rodrik off of him, and likewise, Ethan and Duncan released Garth. They both remained standing, angrily glaring at each other. This caused Robb to also stand.

"That's enough out of both of you. Sit down." He turned to Hendrick. "Thank you, Lord Grayburn."

Hendrick. nodded and sat down. Gregor and Rodrik also went back to their seats, as did Duncan and Ethan. Both Garth and Greatjon were still standing and glaring at each other. But finally, Garth sighed in resignation.

"As you command..."

Both Garth and Greatjon went to their seats. Garth still looked slightly angry, but when he got to his seat, Greatjon was grinning smugly for some reason.