Trouble With The City Watch

After the body of Ser Lorch was found in the Princess' chambers, they were thoroughly searched. But, no explaination for how the knight had wound up in her chambers without being seen could be found.

[King's Landing - Small Council Chamber]

The small council sat at their table. Alton Lannister stood nearby as Cersei read the letter aloud.

"From this time until the end of time, we are not part of your realm, but a free and independent Kingdom of the North." She ripped the letter. " He has more spirit than his father, I'll give him that."

"You've perfected the art of tearing up papers. Give him his father's bones back, at least, as a gesture of good faith." Tyrion told her.

"You'll give the Starks our reply, cousin?"

"I will, Your Grace."

"Did you see my brother when you were the Starks guest?" Cersei asked, causing Varys and Baelish to look annoyed.

"I did. They have not broken his spirit, Your Grace."

"If you speak with him, tell him he's not been forgotten."

"I will, Your Grace."

"Safe travels, cousin." Tyrion bid as Alton left the room, followed by two gold cloaks.

"You have a deft hand with diplomacy." Tyrion commented.

"If that's everything?" Cersei asked.

"A raven flew in this morning from Castle Black." Pycelle handed a letter to Tyrion, who unfurled it and began reading.

"Trouble with the wildlings?" Varys asked.

"That's why they're called wildlings." Baelish commented.

"Somewhat less wild these days. It seems they've stopped killing each other and started following this King-Beyond-the-Wall." Varys informed them.

"Another king? How many is that now, Five? I've lost count." Cersei said.

"Lord Commander asks that we send more men to man The Wall." Tyrion told them.

"Perhaps he's forgotten we're fighting a war. We have no men to spare." Cersei replied.

"Cold winds are rising, and the dead rise with them."

"The northerners are a superstitious people." Pycelle told him.

Everyone but Tyrion stood up to leave.

"According to the Commander, one of these dead men attacked him in his chambers." This cause the others to stop. "Mormont doesn't lie."

"How do you kill a dead man?" Varys asked.

"Apparently you burn him." Tyrion replied.

"One trip to The Wall and you come back believing in grumpkins and snarks." She began walking away, followed by Varys.

"I don't know what I believe, but here's a fact for you. The Night's Watch is the only thing that separates us from what lies beyond the Wall."