Plan Backfires

[King’s Landing - Red Keep, Margaery's Cell]

Cersei entered Margaery’s cell, carrying a tray of food.

"This is horrible. Unacceptable. Are they feeding you enough at least?" She set the tray beside Margaery. "I brought you this. Venison. It’s quite good. I had it myself for supper only last night. We did everything we could from the moment they took your brother. Tommen even went to the sept himself to confront the high sparrow, but I fear The Faith has left reason behind."

"I know you did this."

"We are making every effort on your behalf. I swear to you by all the seven gods."

"Lies come easily to you. Everyone knows that. But innocence, decency, concern? You’re not very good at those, I’m afraid. Perhaps that’s why your son was so eager to cast you aside for me."

"You’re upset. You’re not thinking clearly. I’ll visit again when you’ve had a chance to calm down."

"I don’t want to see you again."

"I do hope you change your mind about that. I’ve been told men often go mad in the Black Cells below the Red Keep, but I suppose your isolation will end once your trial begins."

"Leave." Margaery growled.

"Yes, I’m afraid I must. My son needs me now more than ever."

Margaery threw the tray at Cersei. "Get out you hateful bitch!"

"Sleep well, sister."

Cersei walked out, smirking, and she was taken to High Septon’s room by a Sparrow.

"Thank you." He said to the sparrow as Cersei entered his chapel, before turning to Cersei. "You saw her?"

"Yes."

"And?"

"Her accommodations seem sufficient. What happens to her now?"

"Well she and her brother are both being held under fair suspicion. There has been concerning news about her brother, which will be dealt with upon his return. A trial will be held for each of them to determine if they are guilty of any acts that might constitute a violation of the tenants of the faith."

"Who will stand judge?"

"Seven septons. As it was in all trials before the Targaryens."

"Will you be one of them?"

"I will."

"If one or both of them were to confess before the trial…"

"Then they will be at The Mother’s mercy."

"What does The Mother’s mercy entail?"

"It depends on the situation. The acts themselves, the degree of contrition."

"Thank you High Septon for bringing them whatever justice they deserve in the eyes of the Seven."

"Did you know this chapel is one of the oldest structures in King’s Landing?"

"I think I may have heard at one point."

"Baelor built his sept around it. But men worshipped here long before him."

The High Septon gestured to a stone altar with seven-pointed stars engraved into it. "Who carved this altar do you know?"

"I’m afraid I don’t."

"No one does. There’s no name on it. Or anywhere else in the chapel. The people who built this place didn’t inflict their vanity on the people who came after them. The way Baelor did with that great gilded monstrosity out there. Their faith was clean. Strip away the gold and the ornaments, knock down the statues and the pillars, and this is what remains. Something simple, solid, and true. The Tyrell’s finery will be stripped away. Their lives knocked down, their true hearts laid bare for all to see. And so it will be for all of us, high and low alike. What will we find when we strip away your finery?" The High Septon stared intently at Cersei. "A young man came to us not long ago, broken in body and spirit. He had so much to strip away, so much weighing him down. But piece by piece he unburdened himself. Let go of vanity, pride, sin, now his soul is so light he will float through the Seven Heaves like a bird."