Winterfell Is Lost

[Stark War Camp]

Robb walked among his men and greeted them as he passed them.

"Your Grace."

"Your Grace."

"My honor, Your Grace."

"Your Grace.

"Your Grace." A fifth man who he recognized as Quent said.

"Quent."

Robb noticed Talisa sitting by a tent and approached her.

"Lady Talisa."

"Your Grace. I'm not sure I'm a lady. Westerosi customs are still a bit foreign to me."

"It's hard to keep all the rules straight. But if I remember my lessons, a woman of noble birth is always called a lady. Unless she's a queen or a princess. I could find someone who knows."

"Why are you so sure I'm of noble birth?"

"Because it's obvious."

"What if I told you my father sold lace on the Long Bridge, and my mother, my brother, and I lived with him above our shop?"

"I'd call you a liar."

"Not very noble to accuse a lady of dishonesty." Robb nodded. "I alwys thought I was a brilliant liar."

"Better at amputations, I'm afraid."

They both looked around, awkwardly.

"Quite a pretty spot."

"Will we be here long?"

"I couldn't really discuss troop movements with you."

"I'm not a spy."

"Of course, a spy would deny being a spy."

"You're right. You've found me out. I'm writing a letter to the Lannisters. "The Young Wolf is on the move. ""

"Perhaps you'd join me... If you've got time, of course, for, well-"

He was interrupted as he mother approached with an unfamiliar tall blonde woman.

"Robb."

Robb turned and hugged his mother, while Talisa looked down.

"Mother. Mother, this is Lady Talisa. She's been helping with the wounded. She's been very... helpful."

"Lady Talisa." She greeted.

"Lady Stark."

"Lady Talisa...?"

"Maegyr."

"Maegyr? Forgive me, I do not know this name."

"An uncommon name here. An old name in Volantis. Excuse me, my lady. Your Grace."

Talisa exited, Robb watching her go. Catelyn looked knowingly at her son, a wry smile on her face. The two of them began to walk.

"I've missed you."

"Yes, you look positively forlorn."

"You surprised me, that's all. I didn't think I'd see you today."

"I wish that you were free to follow your heart."

"I know."

"You have inherited your father's responsibilities. I'm afraid they come at a cost. You are promised to another."

"I know."

In order to cross the bridge at the Twins, he had been forced to accept a betrothal to one of Lord Frey's daughters.

At first, he had resigned himself to the fact that it was not something he wanted to do, but rather something he had to do, if he had any hope of mqrching on King's Landing and rescuing his sisters.

But that was before he met Lady Talisa.diane

"A debt that must be paid."

"I haven't forgotten."

Suddenly Lord Roose Bolton was in front of them.

"Your Grace. My lady. News from Winterfell." He held up a scroll.

[Robb's Council Chamber]

Robb, Catelyn, and Roose Bolton were in the midst of a discussion. They had moved something more sedcluded to discuss the contents of the message.

"This cannot be true." Robb said after he had finished reading its contents.

"We've had ravens from White Harbor, Barrowton and the Dreadfort. I'm afraid it is true." Roose replied.

"Why? Why would Theon-"

"Because the Greyjoys are treasonous whores."

"My brothers?"

"We've heard nothing of them. But Rodrik Cassel is dead."

"I told you, nevr trust a Greyjoy!" His mother exclaimed.

"I must go north at once." Robb said.

"There's still a war to win, Your Grace."

"How can I call myself king if I can't hold my own castle? How can I ask men to follow me if I can't-"

"You are a king. And that means you don't have to do everything yourself." Roose told him.

"Let me go and talk to Theon."

"There will be no talk. He will die for this." Robb stated.

"Theon holds the castle with a skeleton crew. Let me send word to my bastard at the Dreadfort. He can raise a few hundred men and retake Winterfell before the new moon. We have the Lannisters on the run. If you march all the way back north now, you'll lose what you gained. My boy would be honoured to bring you Prince Theon's head."

"He is no Prince. Tell your son Bran and Rickon's safety is paramount. And Theon, I want him brought to me alive. I want to look him in the eye and ask him why. And then I'll take his head myself.

He already had enough to deal with. First, the loss of his father and his sisters being held prisoner. Now, the one man he thought he could surely trust had betrayed him; stolen his family's castle and held his brothers captive. The one he had grown up beside, fought beside.

He had killed the man who had trained them.

Roose Bolton took his leave, leaving only Catelyn and Robb in the council chamber.

"You were right," Robb confessed.

"I didn't want to be."

"I shouldn't have sent Theon to his father. That he would betray us for the first chance at his father's approval."

Catelyn stepped forward, cupping her son's face between her hands. "There is nothing you can do now. The best thing you can do is focus on defeating the Lannisters, getting your sisters back. Then we discuss regaining Winterfell. It does not matter who holds it. The entirety of The North knows the truth. The Starks are the Kings of Winter. You are the first since your many great grandfather, Torrhen Stark. Only this time there are no dragons to kneel to. You can do this, Robb. I know it, and your father knew it. Now it's time you know it."

And it was. There was no time to waste. He couldn't linger on the betrayal from Theon. Not while his sisters were still held captive.

He had to beat the Lannisters.

And he would.