Release My Granddaughter

[King's Landing - Red Keep, Cersei's Chambers]

Lady Olenna Tyrell had returned to the Capital swiftly after receiving news of her granddaughter's arrest.

They hadn't even had the decency to wait for her arrival before ordering her confinement.

It is why she now sat in Cersei's chambers, opposite her.

Cersei sat at her desk, writing, not acknowledging Olenna.

"Your Grace, I have travelled a long way." Olenna spoke.

"You must be exhausted."

"Put the pen down, dear, we all know you aren’t writing anything."

"Ah, yes, the famously tart-tongued Queen of Thorns."

"And the famous tart Queen Cersei."

"Beg your pardon."

"I know you’re behind this absurd incarceration of my granddaughter."

"If you apologize for that comment perhaps-"

"You’ll get your apology when I get Margaery."

"I was as shocked as anyone when The Faith arrested Queen Margaery. I have no love for these fanatics. But what can the queen mother do?"

"Has the crown suddenly stopped needing the troops, gold, and wheat my house supplies?"

"I assure you our alliance with House Tyrell remains-"

"Do you expect the alliance to continue after you’ve thrown the futire Queen Mother into prison?"

"As I said, I didn’t imprison anyone. As for your veiled threats-"

"What veil?"

"The Lannister-Tyrell alliance brought peace to a war-torn country. Do you really want to see the Seven Kingdoms slide back into warfare?"

"I didn’t trust your father. I didn’t particularly like him. But I respected him. He was no fool. He understood that sometimes we must work with our rivals rather than destroy them."

"House Lannister has no rival. The High Septon has called for an inquest, not a trial. Just a small hearing to determine whether the charges against Margaery have merit, which I’m sure they don’t. Margaery will be freed, our happy alliance will continue, and we’ll forget this unfortunate conversation happened. Good day, Lady Olenna."

Olenna stood and left. All she could do was wait for this farce of a trial.

When it was finally upon them, she entered the room of the High Sparrow where the trial was being held.

Inside were the High Sparrow, King Tommen, her granddaughter Margaery, and a few of the Faith Militant.

Margaery was sat in a separate chair facing Cersei and Tommen. There was an empty seat, which Olenna assumed was for her.

"Are we all here?" The High Sparrow asked.

Olenna noted Aelinor was absent. No doubt her mother's doing.

"Very well. Queen Margaery, you stand accused of adultery. How do you plead?"

"Not guilty," Margaery growled, staring directly at Cersei.

"You were first married to the pretender King, Renly Baratheon, is that right?"

"Yes."

"And you remained loyal to him, even when he wanted to kill the man you would marry next?"

"He was my husband. I did as I was told, married who I was told."

"Yet the marriage remained unconsummated?"