Dinners & Ploys

[King's Landing - Dining Hall, Night]

Queen Cersei Lannister dined with Lady Sansa Stark, Princess Aelinor, Prince Tommen, and Princess Myrcella. The room was silent and awkward.

"When will Joffrey and Sansa be married?" Sweet Myrcella tried to alleviate the tension.

Sansa's head jerked up and she looked over at Cersei.

"Soon, darling, when the war is over."

"Mother says I'll have a new gown for the ceremony and another for the feast. But yours will be ivory, since you're the bride." Myrcella told Sansa.

Sansa didn't reply, a look of trepidation on her face. At her lack of response, Myrcella looked back at Sansa, as did Cersei.

"The princess just spoke to you."

"Pardon, Your Grace. She turned to Myrcella. "I'm sure your dress will be beautiful, Myrcella. I'm counting the days until the fighting is done and I can pledge my love to the King in sight of the gods."

Cersei watched Sansa as she made her statement. Sansa looked close to tears at the end.

"Is Joffrey going to kill Sansa's brother?" Tommen asked, causing Sansa to look over at Cersei.

"He might."

Sansa took a long drink of wine.

"Would you like that?" Cersei's answer was directed at Tommen, but she was looking at Sansa when she said it.

"No. I don't think so."

"Don't worry Tommen. The day Joffrey becomes an actual King, or man, is the day he kills Sansa's brother."

"So, nevr?"

Aelinor chuckled. "Nevr."

Her mom sent her a sharp stare. "Even if he does, Sansa will do her duty. Won't you, little dove?"

Cersei looked at Sansa, a small cold smile on her face. Sansa said nothing. Instead she looked away, dejected.

Aelinor shook her head, taking a long sip of wine.

If there was one thing she was grateful for in being a Lannister; her wine tolerance.

[King's Landing - Sansa's Chambers, Night]

After the awkward dinner, Sansa returned to her chambers.

She continued to look dejected, this time into her mirror. There was a knock at the door, startling her.

"Come in."

A woman entered.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Shae, my lady. Your new handmaiden." She had tan skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes.

"I didn't know I needed a new handmaiden. You're not from here." It was probably another woman sent by the Queen to spy on her.

"No."

They regarded each other silently.

"What are you doing?" Sansa asked.

"Waiting for you to tell me what to do."

"I shouldn't have to tell you to do things. You should just do them."

"What things?"

"Change my linens, wash my clothing, scrub the floor, empty my chamber pot, brush my hair." Sansa was growing irritated. As if the dinner had not been enough. Now she had a handmaiden who appeared not to know her duties.