Home

[King's Landing - Great Sept Of Baelor]

Jaime entered the Sept to find Tommen staring at the empty table, reserved for the bodies of the deceased.

He was to leave for Riverrun soon, and wanted to get in a little time with his family before he did.

"She grew up."

"Almost."

"I'm just glad."

"For your sister's return. Yes, a wonderful day it was."

"No, that I didn't have to stand over the body of another one of my siblings."

Jaime looked down.

"Have we caught those responsible for the plot on Prince Trystane's life? I expect it was Mother."

He had heard whispers of an attempt to kill the young Prince on his travel to the Capital. It was likely why his cousin, a notable warrior, travelled with him.

"Your mother wouldn't do that." Jaime denied.

"Yes, she would."

"Are you angry with her?"

"Of course not."

"Then why didn't you let her come? She has every right to be here as any of us. She only wishes to speak to you. She heard you were here, but they denied her entry."

"They told me she wouldn't be allowed in the sept. If she had tried-"

"They're not putting your mother in a cell ever again. Not while I'm here. And even if I'm not, I will still protect her any way I can. Why haven't you gone to see her? Everything she endured, she did it for you. She told me, if it wasn't for you and your siblings, she would have thrown herself from the Red Keep. You are what keeps her alive."

"Don't you think I know that? I'm sorry. But I can't."

"Why not?"

"When the Faith Militant seized her and Margaery, what did I do? When they paraded her through the streets like a whore, what did I do?"

"We all fail sometimes."

"The king is supposed to be the Protector of the Realm. If I can't even protect my own wife or my own mother, what good am I?"

The High Sparrow entered the sept.

Jaime took Tommen by the shoulder. "Go and see your mother and ask her to forgive you."

"Your Grace. Lord Commander." The High Sparrow greeted.

"I want to see my wife." Tommen demanded.

"The gods wait for Queen Margaery to confess her crimes and seek their mercy. The king must wait as well."

"Go and see your mother, Tommen." Jaime told him, causing the boy King to exit. He then turned to the High Sparrow. "You're a bold man."

"On the contrary. I fear a great deal. The Father, the Mother, the Warrior." The High Sparrow approached the small dais, plucking a painted stone from a nearby bowl. "Do you know why we use these stones? To remind us not to fear death. We close our eyes on this world and open them on the next."

"You must long for the next life."

"In truth, I fear that, too."

"You imprisoned and humiliated my sister."

"Your sister sought the gods' mercy and atoned for her sin."

"What about my sins?" Jaime approached the High Sparrow. "I broke a sacred oath and stabbed my king in the back. I killed my own cousin. When the gods judged my brother guilty, I helped him escape their justice. What atonement do I deserve?" Jaime gripped the hilt of his dagger and partially drew it.

"You would spill blood in this holy place?"

"Oh, the gods won't mind. They've spilled more blood than the rest of us combined."

"Go on, then. I deserve it. We all do. We are weak, vain creatures. We live only by the Mother's mercy."

A great number of the Faith Militant encircled Jaime and the High Sparrow on the steps of the sept.

"They should be closer if you mean for them to save you."

"I don't. They'd nevr reach me before you struck."

"I've fought against worse odds."

"No doubt many of us would fall. But who are we, hmm? We have no names, no family. Every one of us is poor and powerless. And yet together, we can overthrow an empire."

He walked slowly away from Jaime, leaving the man to watch his back.

[Red Keep - Cersei's Chambers]

Cersei was in her chambers, with Aelinor, who had reluctantly agreed to come, and bring her son.

It was very rare she let Aegar out of her sight. Her only allies were Dyanna and Willem.

But, her mother had heard of her pregnancy and wanted to see her for herself.

Cersei stood looking over the balcony at King's Landing when Tommen entered her chamber.

"Mother."

Cersei walked in from the balcony.

"Has the Sparrow convinced you I've done something else?"

She walked over to a side table and drank a sip of wine, her back still facing her son.

"I'm sorry for keeping you here. I shouldn't have, but I was-I didn't want to lose you again."

He was afraid of her doing something that would get her arrested again, and held before her trial.

"I understand. I'm glad to see you.

"I know I should have come sooner. I wanted to. I was wrong."

"It's all right."

"No, it isn't."

Cersei turned to face him.

"I should have executed them all. I should have pulled down the sept onto the High Sparrow's head before I let them do that to you, as you would have for me. You raised me to be strong... and I wasn't. But I want to be. Help me."

"Alywys."

Aelinor watched as her mother and brother embraced.

At this point, she wanted to smash her head against the wall. She was torn from how the crown was eating away at her brother, and him now going to their mother for help. It showed how desperate he was getting, which was not good. Desperation often lead to mistakes.

Yes, their mother had the experience, but, especially with her father's death, she has had no one to keep her in line.

Aelinor knew there was no way they would be in the position they were if her grandfather were alive. He wouldn't have let it get this far. He would have shown Cersei how dimwitted her plan was.

As much as she despised the man, there was no denying the cunning and ruthless nature he possessed.

Hell, even Joffrey would have crushed this far sooner than Tommen, even at the risk of making these men martyrs.

"All of this over a f*cking Iron Chair." She said, causing them both to look at her. "One that technically didn't belong to us, or should I say me. All this death and pain, and for what? A chance to sit the Throne? Tommen, you are right. You should have crushed this at its head. But you wouldn't have to if not for the very person you are asking for help."

"Me?" Her mother asked.

"Yes, you. I told you what would happen if you rearmed the Faith Militant, and it did. All because of your unwillingness to allow another woman to influence your son."

"When Aegar marries, perhaps you won't be so quick to judge."

"No. Because I'm nothing like you, mother."

"That's where you're wrong. You and your siblings are the best part of me; dedication and love for one another."

"Even if that is true, we have a chance to be better than you."

"That is all a mother can hope for."

"Not to make choices out of fear, or anger, but strategy. Finding ways to help all of the people. Not just our friends and family."

"A noble pursuit."

"Indeed it is." Aelinor walked over to her brother and kissed his forehead. "I love you brother, but I can see how heavy the crown is weighing on you. We are in a similar situation, you and I. If you need to talk, I am here. Or if you simply want to get away and visit your nephew, you are free to do so."

"I love you too."

They hugged one another as their mother stood watching.

It was true. Her children did not need to try to be better than her. They simply were. They hadn't been subjected to marriages where their spouses openly philandered. Nor were they bitter and cruel to those who were viewed as lesser than them.

They, along with Myrcella, were the best of the Lannisters, and no one could tell her any different.