Arrival & Riverrun Battle

[Riverrun]

Brienne and Podrick arrived on horseback. They stare out at the Lannister/Frey encampment from an overlooking hill.

"Looks like a siege, my lady."

"You have a keen military mind, Pod." She spotted Jaime riding a white horse among his men.

"My lady. My lady."

Several Lannister soldiers rode towards Brienne and Podrick, and then encircled them.

"Who goes there? State your business!" One of them asked.

"My name is Brienne of Tarth. Please inform Ser Jaime Lannister I've come to speak with him. Tell him I have his sword."

[Lannister-Frey Encampment]

Brienne and Jaime stood across from each other in his tent.

"I nevr thought you'd find her. I just assumed Sansa was dead."

"Why would you assume that?"

"In my experience, girls like her don't live very long."

"I don't think you know many girls like her."

"Well, I'm proud of you. I am. You fulfilled your oath to Catelyn Stark against all odds." Jaime walked around the tent and stopped on Brienne's other side, causing her to face him. "Of course my sister wants Sansa dead. The girl is a suspect in Joffrey's murder, so there is that complication. What the hell are you doing here?"

"I've come for the Blackfish."

"You're welcome to have him."

"Lady Sansa desires to take her ancestral seat back from the Boltons and assume her rightful position as Lady of Winterfell."

"With what army does she plan on taking Winterfell?"

"The Tully army."

"They're a bit occupied at the moment. I was sent here to reclaim Riverrun currently defended by the Tully rebels, so you can see the conundrum."

"The Tullys are rebels because they're fighting for their home?"

"Riverrun was granted to the Freys by royal decree."

"As a reward for betraying Robb Stark and slaughtering his family."

"Exactly." Jaime and Brienne stared at each other. "We shouldn't argue about politics."

"You're a knight, Ser Jaime. I know there is honor in you. I've seen it myself."

"I'm a Lannister. Don't ask me to betray my own house."

"I do no such thing. Take Riverrun without bloodshed. Ride south with your mission complete and your army intact."

"What do you propose?"

"Allow me to enter Riverrun under a flag of truce. Let me try to persuade the Blackfish to give up the castle."

"Why would he abandon his ancestral home?"

"Because you'll allow him to lead the Tully forces safely north."

"Have you ever met the Blackfish?"

"No."

"He's even more stubborn than you are." Brienne looked down and Jaime walked back around the table to her other side. "All right. Try to talk some sense into the old goat. He won't listen, but his men might. Not everybody wants to die for someone else's home."

"I need your word. If I persuade him to abandon the castle, you'll grant us safe passage north."

"You have my word. You have until nightfall."

Brienne nodded and undid her sword belt. She handed Oathkeeper to Jaime who sighed.

"You gave it to me for a purpose. I've achieved that purpose."

"It's yours. It will alwys be yours."

Brienne stared into Jaime's eyes, then tied Oathkeeper back on her waist and began to walk out. Jaime followed her to the entrance of the tent, causing her to turn back.

"One last thing, Ser Jaime."

"Yes, Lady Brienne?"

"Should I fail to persuade the Blackfish to surrender, and if you attack the castle, honor compels me to fight for Sansa's kin."

"Of course it does."

"To fight you."

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

Brienne and Jaime stared into each other's eyes before she exited, Jaime watching her go.

[Riverrun - Outer Wall]

Brienne and Podrick followed Brynden holding a piece of parchment as he walked along the walls of Riverrun.

"I've said no three times already."

"I have a signed letter from your niece Sansa Stark."

"I haven't seen her since she was a child. I don't know her signature. I don't know you. And I will not surrender." Brynden turned to one of his soldiers. "Double the guards tonight." He looked out at the Lannister/Frey encampment. "The Kingslayer wants to try us. I can feel it."

Brynden turned on his heel and walked inside, Brienne and Podrick following after him.

"As I have said, my name is-"

"Yes, Brienne of Tarth. I know your father. A good man."

"He alwys spoke highly of you."

"And if he were here now, I'd tell him the same I'm telling you." Brynden made his way down a set of steps. "If you think I'm abandoning my family's seat on the Kingslayer's word of honour, you're a bloody fool."

"Riverrun cannot stand against the Lannisters and the Freys."

"We can stand longer than your one-handed friend thinks we can."

Brynden, Brienne, and Podrick emerged into Riverrun's main courtyard.

"He's not my friend." Brienne protested.

"No?" Brynden stopped and turned back to face her. "Who gave you permission to cross the siege line and enter the castle? Who gave you that sword with the gold lion on the pommel?"

"Ser Jaime kept his word to your niece Catelyn Stark. He sent me to find Sansa, to help her as Catelyn wanted. He gave me this sword to protect her. That is what I have done and I will continue to do until the dau I die."

Brienne held out the piece of parchment to Brynden. He took it, unfolded it, and read its contents, smiling and chuckling under his breath.

"She's exactly like her mother." Brienne smiled and Brynden turned back to face her. "I don't have enough men to help her take Winterfell."

"You have more than she does."

"She wants her home back. I understand that. But this is my home. And if Jaime Lannister wants it, he can bloody well take it the way everyone else does."