Tourney Preparations & Questions

The city had become noticeably busier in anticipation for the tourney in honour of the new Hand of the King.

At present, the members of the Small Council were gathered, listening to the commander of the City Watch, Janos Slynt.

"It's the Hand's tournament that's causing all this trouble, my Lords."

"The King's tournament. I assure you the Hand wants no part of it." Ned corrected.

"Call it what you will, Lord Stark Ser, the city is packed with people and more flooding in every day. Last night we had a tavern riot, a brоthеl fire, three stabbings and a drunken horse race down the Street of Sisters." Slynt told them.

"Dreadful." Varys commented.

"If you can't keep the King's peace, perhaps the City Watch should be commanded by someone who can." Renly said.

"I need more men."

"You'll get 50. Lord Baelish will see it paid for." Ned commanded.

"I will?"

"You found money for a champion's purse, you can find money to keep the peace." He told the Master of Coin before turning to Slynt. "I'll also give you 20 of my household guards till the crowds have left."

"Thank you, my Lord Hand Ser. They will be put to good use."

"The sooner this is over, the better." Lord Stark grumbled.

"The realm prospers from such events, my Lord. They give the great a chance at glory, and the lowly a respite from their woes." Varys remarked.

"And every inn in the city is full and the whοres are walking bow-legged." Baelish chimed in, earning eye rolls.

"I'm sure the tourney puts coins in many a pocket. Now... If there's nothing else, my Lords?" Ned asked.

"There is one, Lord Stark, completely unrelated to the tournament. I assume you know who Lord Hersham Groatworth is?" Varys brought up.

"Yes."

Eyron Morvayn, the former Master of Laws, now advisor to the Small Council, rolled his eyes. "Oh, lord...not him again..."

"My predecessor as Master of Coin; specifically, the Mad King's Master of Coin. Apparently he has a proposition for the Crown." Littlefinger added.

"Oh, really? Given me one good reason why I should entertain any proposal from Hersham Groatworth." Ned questioned.

"Well, it's a rather interesting proposal." Renly quipped. "Lord Groatworth has requested that a new Small Council office be created: the Master of Trade. He requests that he be named to this position."

"And what would this entail?" Ned asked.

"According to Lord Groatworth, the Master of Trade would control the regulation of merchant goods within the kingdoms. Regulate sales, establish trade routes, keep the farmers in line....things of that nature. He'd work closely with the Master of Coin in those regards." Littlefinger informed them.

"Lord Groatworth has been annoying the Crown with this silly proposal for years." Eyron said.

"No." Ned told Varys.

"Shouldn't you give this more thought, my lord?" Varys asked.

"I'm not letting Hersham Groatworth anywhere near the Small Council. Robert dismissed him from the council for a good reason: he is untrustworthy when it comes to power." Ned announced.

Littlefinger had a look on his face that clearly said, 'Well, so am I, but here I am.'

"Lord Groatworth has petitioned for the creation of this position for years, even when Jon Arryn was Hand. It could be helpful in the management of the kingdoms." Pycelle interjected.