Chapter 66

Louis let out a deep breath as he parked his car and pulled on his snapback and sunglasses. Right now he really didn't want anyone to recognize him and even though he knew this would be easier in private he still wanted to be cautious and be in a public setting.

Louis kept his head down as he walked to the front door and pushed it open, only to find a half full coffee shop. He met the older lad's eye and let out a quiet breath before walking towards the table he was sitting at and raising his eyebrows at the man across from him.

"I only have twenty minutes." Louis said as he sat down, pulled off his sunglasses and folded his hands on the table.

Jake was barely able to look the younger lad in the eye as he cleared his throat nervously. "Louis I... I don't even know if I can say anything to express how sorry I am." He muttered as he rubbed his hands over his face. "It's just- I thought about what happened and I feel like utter shit and I don't know what I was thinking when I stopped you from leaving." Jake said, clearly upset and frustrated with himself.

Louis pursed his lips as he listened the the older lad and nodded slightly. He wasn't here to make things right with Jake, he was just here to listen to what he had to say and be done with it.

"It sounds stupid but in uni I just- I liked you a lot and I found out you were dating Harry so I kinda pushed my feelings aside but we've been spending so much time together I guess they resurfaced." Jake said quietly as he stole a glance at Louis and bit his lip. "And I hate myself because you're married and your family is amazing, and I'm with Ryan and we have Finn- It's just- I-I fucked everything up and I don't think I can fix it." He stuttered out.

"Did you tell Ryan?" Louis asked as he saw the older lad trying desperately to keep himself together.

Jake barely nodded as he bit his lip and kept his eyes on the table. "I know how it feels to be cheated on and just at the thought of me doing that to him... I couldn't." He said quietly as he shook his head. "I wasn't thinking when I stopped you but that doesn't make up for what I did. And thankfully Ryan forgave me but it'll take a while to get back to where we were."

Louis looked at the older lad and raised his eyebrows, not sure if he had anything else to say but when he didn't he let out a small breath. "Jake I don't know what to tell you other than I hope things work out for you and Ryan, and that I don't think we should be hanging out anymore." He said quietly. "And I'm sorry but this is the second time you've caused problems with me and my family, and I can't keep doing this."

"No, I get it Louis." Jake said as he glanced at the younger lad and nodded his head. "Just thank you for even meeting up with me and letting me apologize." He said as he figured that Louis would never want to see him again, let alone talk to him.

Louis nodded as he checked his watch and figured he should get going to pick Alexis up. "I need to get going." He said as he pushed himself out of his chair.

"Right, yeah." Jake said as he stood up with him. "I really am sorry Lou." He said quietly as he shifted his weight on his feet.

All Louis could do was bite his lip and and shift his keys in his palm before offer the older lad his hand. "Bye Jake."

Jake took Louis' hand in his own and shook it before saying his own quiet "goodbye" and watching the footie player leave the coffee shop.

*~*

"Alright, so you see that little blonde boy? That's Peter Pan and he's the leader of the lost boys." Louis began to explain to Rosie as he shifted her on his chest so she could see the tv. "Now what's really cool about him is that he never grows up and-"