First Days : Part 32

Aonung follows after Neteyam, coming up right next to him and letting out a loud and distinct call. The creature always knows Aonung's whereabouts and never strays far. It comes up from the depths of the stream and over to the edge to greet its rider.

Aonung rubs its snout briefly, before connecting their bonds and climbing on. He turns and holds out a hand to Neteyam, which the boy takes.

Hesitantly, he climbs on behind Aonung, and gets as close as he can for a secure hold around Aonung's abdomen.

He takes a few deep breaths, and Aonung can feel his heart racing because of how close he's holding him.

Aonung- Neteyam, are you sure you can do this?

Neteyam- Yes . . . I think.

Aonung lets out a shaky breath, nervous about the ride home, but is still determined to take it. As his skimwing takes off, merging into traffic, the speed blows the hood right off of Neteyam's head. He lies his head down, holding on tightly as they zoom onto the highway.

Aonung- You alright back there?!

He speaks loudly to be heard above the storm and splashing water. He feels Neteyam nod in return, and continues on. But as they continue, as Aonung had said, it becomes time for his skimwing to dive.

Aonung- We gotta dive!

Neteyam- Can't it wait!?

Aonung- No, I'm sorry! You're gonna be fine, okay!

He feels the heavy breaths Neteyam begins to take, and reaches a hand back, securing it behind the boy's knee.

Aonung- You're gonna have to trust me! Can you do that!?

Neteyam- . . .

Aonung- Neteyam?!

He suddenly nods, and as soon as he does, the creature dives under water. Aonung holds onto Neteyam as the boy squeezes him, then just a moment later they resurface. The boys each take in a breath, and Aonung glances back.

Aonung- You okay?!

Neteyam- Yeah.

His answer is breathy, as if he can't believe he's perfectly fine after diving underwater.

Soon, they reach the stream leading to the familiar private property, and come around the platform. Neteyam finally lets Aonung go, and climbs off and onto the sidewalk. Aonung follows after him, and leads him up the stairs and to the front door.

He pulls out his key, unlocking it, then lets them both in, closing and locking it back. The lights are out, only the candle's dim glow comes from the kitchen behind the staircase.

Ronal- Aonung!