First Nights : Part 26

Suddenly, the door bursts open, with Aonung barging in and quickly slamming it behind him, startling both boys. Neteyam opens his mouth to protest, but Aonung walks right past him and up to Lo'ak.

The marine boy kneels in front of him, checking the bandages on his leg and shaking his head with a displeased expression. Neteyam isn't sure what to do.

He would normally kick someone out if they barged in like this, but something about the atmosphere Aonung brought with him makes him think twice.

Aonung- Lo'ak, what did you and Rotxo do?

Neteyam looks at his brother. He hadn't told him which friend it was he was hanging out with, so he's wondering how Aonung knows.

Lo'ak meets Aonung's gaze, surprised he knows who he was with. After all, Rotxo did tell him it would be wise to keep that knowledge from him.

Aonung- Tell me it's not what I think it is.

His voice raises slightly in desperation. The long silence is enough to tell Aonung it's exactly what he thought. He sighs and gives the younger boy a look of understanding.

Aonung- So it is.

Lo'ak- I-Is what?

Aonung- You don't have to hide it from me. I know about the events.

Lo'ak is struck with shock and relief. He was sworn to secrecy, but since Aonung already knows, he doesn't have to hide anything from him anymore. When his eyes water, tears falling effortlessly down his face, Neteyam watches in utter confusion.

He takes a step towards them, but Lo'ak instead wraps his arms around Aonung for a hug.

He quickly does the same, rubbing Lo'ak's back. Neteyam grows frustrated, wishing he was on the inside of whatever secret they're holding.

Aonung- You'll be okay, I promise.

He pulls Lo'ak back with his hands reassuringly on his shoulders.

Aonung- Tell your brother what happened, I'll go handle this.

Lo'ak nods and Aonung storms out of the room with anger now apparent on his face. After the door is shut, Neteyam looks back at Lo'ak, awaiting the explanation. He wipes his face, then pats the spot next to him.

Neteyam places himself there, and sits in silence.

Lo'ak- I've been hooking up with Rotxo this week. Only in between some classes so I wouldn't miss anything.

Neteyam does recall him suddenly disappearing a few times, but not for too long. After Aonung started occupying Neteyam's attention, his focus wasn't entirely on Lo'ak so he wasn't able to catch him. But often thought nothing of the short disappearances.

Lo'ak- When he said he wanted to take me to an event, I thought he meant a party or something, but I was wrong.

Neteyam- What was it?

Lo'ak- . . . A heist.

Neteyam- What?

Lo'ak- His family are thieves, bro. Before I even really knew what was happening, everything turned chaotic, and then I was left behind.

Neteyam- We have to tell the authorities.

Neteyam stands but Lo'ak quickly pulls him back down.

Lo'ak- No!

Neteyam- Why not?!

Lo'ak- Just . . . Wait for Aonung to come back.

Neteyam- Why?

Lo'ak- Neteyam, he knew about this already, but he hasn't told anyone. There has to be a reason for that.

Neteyam- . . . (sighs) Fine. We'll wait to talk this out with him.