First Nights : Part 7

Later, the bell rings for dinner, and everyone goes to the dining room, sitting in their usual spots. Jake and Tonowari have returned, though they aren't sure when, since they didn't hear them.

As Neteyam sits next to Aonung, he glances at him, wanting to speak, but being a bit intimidated by saying what he has to say, so he holds it in for now.

Ronal serves sautéed fish and vegetables, and the pleasant smell fills the room.

They begin to eat, but notice the oddly distinct smiles on Jake and Neytiri's faces. Tonowari also has a smile on his face, which Aonung and Tsireya find odd since he's usually hangry around this time.

Kiri- Mom, why are you two smiling like that?

Their parents glance at each other, then Jake wipes his mouth before he speaks.

Jake- We're getting our own place.

Neteyam halts his chewing, and looks up at his smiling father. Ronal looks shocked, but pleasantly so.

Jake- Just have to go sign some paperwork tomorrow, then it's all ours. We'll probably move on in while you kids are at school Monday.

Tuktirey- Is it big?

Jake- It's big enough.

Tuktirey- Yay!

Neytiri- And it's within the reef, so we'll definitely have you all over for a visit.

Ronal- That's wonderful. I can't wait to see it.

Neytiri- Me too. I would love some help finding decorations.

Ronal- I know the best places for a good sale.

Tsireya smiles at her mother and Neytiri's excitement. The announcement put everyone in a smiling mood, minus Aonung who just continues to stuff his face. He's happy for them, yes, but doesn't feel like expressing it because he's hungry.

Neteyam, however, isn't that happy, and his father notices.

Jake- Neteyam, what's wrong?

Neteyam- We just got settled in here.

Jake- I know, but this isn't our home, we needed our own place. It would've taken longer if Tonowari didn't insist on helping.

Tonowari- He had no clue what he was doing.

Neytiri- (laughs)

Jake- We got it done fine. Don't worry, you'll like our new home.

Neteyam plops his fork down, taking a breath in frustration. It took him the whole week to finally get comfortable living here, and now he'll have to go through it all over again.

Neytiri- You'll be okay, dear, it's a good neighborhood.

Neteyam- I don't care. I don't want to leave.

Lo'ak places a hand on Neteyam's back, trying to calm him before he gets too worked up.

Jake- I'm sorry, I really am, but we have to. You'll warm up to it.

Neteyam- I'm not leaving!

He suddenly stands from his seat and storms off, knocking the chair over. Lo'ak looks back at his father with a short hiss, before following after his brother.

Jake sighs heavily, and Neytiri gently holds his hand. When one son is upset, the other one automatically is too, the irrationality of it annoys him sometimes.

Ronal- Your son is welcome to stay until he's ready to leave.

Jake- No, that's fine. When Lo'ak goes, he'll come too.

Ronal nods, then as they continue to dine, Neytiri picks back up where she left off, discussing drapes for the windows.