First Nights : Part 8

Once they're each done, everyone retires to do their own thing. Kiri and Tuktirey turn in, to be rested for their outing tomorrow. Tsireya does the same, as does Lo'ak. Unfortunately, Neteyam can't sleep.

He's just lying in his bed, watching as his brother snoozes soundly and wishing he could do the same. But since he can't, he stands and heads downstairs to the kitchen. He grabs a glass and pours himself some water.

As he sips, he looks around at the dim surroundings, lit only by the candle. He finds the silence enjoyable, but hears a small disturbance. The distant sounds of splashing water.

He finishes his drink, sitting his cup in the sink, then follows the noise over to the entrance of a hallway he hasn't been in before.

Curiously, he walks through it, the noise growing a bit louder, until he comes up to an archway. The entrance to their pool room. He steps in, and looks along the walls of wide windows, letting in the lights of the night sky, and illuminating the water.

He walks over to the pool, not seeing anyone else in the room, until Aonung suddenly resurfaces in the deep end. As the boy turns his way, his head tilts a bit and he swims back into the shallow end looking up at him.

Aonung- What are you doing up?

Neteyam kneels down and sits, letting his legs rest in the water.

Neteyam- Couldn't sleep.

Aonung- So you came for a swim?

Neteyam- No, I came because I heard someone in here.

He hums in response, then looks around at the water.

Aonung- We could get some training done, since you're up.

Neteyam- We should be friends.

Aonung looks up at him in confusion, since that had nothing to do with what he was saying. He's glad he brought it up, but wonders why he couldn't just say that earlier.

Aonung- What makes you say that?

Neteyam pauses for a moment to think. He wasn't expecting Aonung to pout. It makes him realize his brother was right about him hurting his feelings.

Neteyam- I'm sorry, okay. I don't normally have friends, and I thought just being allies was enough.

Aonung- Don't get me wrong. I'm honored to have your trust, but a simple guy like me assumes that's the same as friendship. I see that they're different now, for you at least.

The small smile Neteyam is used to seeing returns to his face.

Neteyam- So, we're good now?

Aonung- Yeah, I'm good, but are you?

Neteyam- Yeah.

Aonung- No, I mean, about the move.

He frowns some, not wanting to think about getting used to yet another new place.

Neteyam- Does it really matter? I have to go anyway.

Aonung- My mother offered to have you stay here until you're ready, but your father said it wasn't necessary.

Neteyam- Why?

Aonung- Because you'll follow Lo'ak.

Neteyam- I'm not so sure about that this time.

Aonung- If you decide you really want to stay, I'll help you convince them.

He smiles slightly.

Neteyam- I'd appreciate it.

Aonung- So, wanna train some? We can focus on diving longer.

Neteyam- Okay.