Dark Nights : Part 7

Once the school day ends, and the Sullys return home, Neteyam gets an earful from their parents, since the school contacted them on their house phone telling of his absence from third course. He and Aonung had spent the rest of that course cleaning up the mess he created in the bathroom.

It's still bad that the mirror was destroyed, but at least the janitors didn't have to clean it up. There was no fixing the trash can though.

He isn't sure how Aonung dealt with his parents, but he told Jake and Neytiri the reason he was absent, while strategically leaving out the part that brought upon the fight. But if he's gonna be able to visit Aonung as he wants to this evening, he'll have to come clean to his father.

As his mother prepares dinner, and his siblings chillax in the den, he goes to speak to his father in his parents' room. Jake is sitting on the side of the large bed, putting together a small shelf Neytiri recently bought. He glances up at his son entering the room silently, before looking back at his task.

Jake- If you're here to ask if you can go somewhere, you know the answer.

Neteyam- But-

Jake- No, you're still in trouble for missing class.

With a sigh, he goes over to the bed and sits next to his father.

Neteyam- I left out some things that I'd like to tell you.

Jake stops his work to give Neteyam his undivided attention, and sets the tools aside.

Jake- I thought that story you gave us was pretty brief.

All Neteyam told them was that they stopped at the bathroom and got into a fight with a few other boys, but stayed to clean up after chasing them off.

Jake- So what really happened?

He fiddles around with his hands a bit and looks down.

Neteyam- Aonung stopped for the bathroom, and I waited for him in the hall. These other guys went in, one of them was Rotxo's brother.

Jake's brows furrow, knowing any mention of Rotxo or his brother at this point is bad.

Neteyam- He was taking a long time, so I went in . . . They were humiliating him . . . Had him bent over the counter. That's when the fight started. Well, that's when I started the fight.

He looks up at his father, meeting his intent gaze.

Neteyam- The others ran off, and Aonung scared Haeda away too. But he was still so angry . . . Then he just lost it, and shattered the entire mirror.

Jake- And he felt bad afterwards so he wanted to clean up, is that it?

Neteyam- (nods)

Jake- Looks like you aren't the only one with an uncontrollable problem.

Neteyam- He usually doesn't fight, ever, even when he should.

Jake- Has he always been like that?

Neteyam- No. I mean, I don't think he's ever been one to fight, but after the whole incident with that man, he won't even defend himself anymore.

Jake hums in response, wondering if Tonowari knows of this problem.

Neteyam- He seemed fine after all that, but he was quiet.

Jake- And you wanna go check on him.

Neteyam- Yeah.

His father goes silent for a moment, thinking it over, then breaks the silence with a sigh.

Jake- Alright, but no more visits until Friday, and don't miss any more classes.

Neteyam- Yes, sir.