First Days : Part 4

A few hours later, when the parents return. Ronal begins dinner while Jake and Neytiri head to the left wing to rest a bit, but not before checking up on their children who have already claimed rooms. Despite there being plenty for each to have their own, they find Kiri sharing with Tuk, and Lo'ak sharing with Neteyam.

Neytiri goes into the girls' room. They're both sitting on Tuktirey's woven bed, and Kiri is doing her hair while the small girl plays with her toys. Their mother sits with them, noticing Kiri's frown.

Neytiri- What is it?

Kiri thinks for a moment before answering, remembering what ruined her mood.

Kiri- Those kids are rude.

She pauses for a second, thinking back again.

Kiri- Well, except for Tsireya, she was nice. But Aonung and Rotxo were both really impolite.

Neytiri hisses at the thought of her children being mistreated. She quickly stands from the bed with a huff.

Neytiri- I will speak to Ronal about this.

Her daughter stops what she's doing and looks up at her, shaking her head.

Kiri- It's fine, mom, just leave it.

Neytiri- Are you sure?

Kiri- Yeah, let's give them time. We are strangers to them after all.

Neytiri sighs but goes along with Kiri's decision. If Kiri is willing to overlook it then perhaps it wasn't as bad as she's imagining it to be. She decides to leave it to the kids to solve, and leaves their room. Looking for her mate, she heads over to the boys' room. When she sees he's still there, she stands at the entrance watching him talk to their boys.

He's sitting on Neteyam's bed while the boy is hiding under his favorite blanket that he brought with. Lo'ak is on his own bed, sitting crisscrossed.

Jake- Why didn't you do the rest of the tour?

The boy doesn't answer. He just remains silently under the blanket, like he's been doing since they first showed him the room at the beginning of the tour. His father's tone is soft, showing he isn't mad. He just doesn't want their family to seem disrespectful.

Jake- Neteyam, these people are giving us shelter, you shouldn't be rude to them.

Lo'ak feels a bit of irritation at his father beginning to lecture Neteyam.

Lo'ak- He was just tired, dad.

Jake- I know that's not it.

Jake knows Neteyam well. He knows the boy has probably been very uncomfortable and just went to a place where he doesn't: Wrapped in his blanket. But without explanation, his actions look very rude.

Neytiri- Ma'Jake.

Jake looks behind him, seeing his mate standing in the doorway.

Neytiri- Let him rest.

He sighs and turns to Lo'ak.

Jake- What were they like?

Lo'ak lets out a breath, and prepares to run down the list.

Lo'ak- Aonung is a douche. Rotxo never spoke to us, he only whispered things to Aonung. And Tsireya was making eyes at Neteyam from the time she came downstairs.

Jake rubs Neteyam's arm just a bit, knowing the staring girl probably made him feel targeted.

Lo'ak- They're all weird.

Neytiri- Don't say that.

Lo'ak- But they are.

Jake- I'm sure they feel the same way about us. Just keep being polite, let 'em get to know and trust you.

Lo'ak nods as Jake stands up and walks over to him, patting his head gently, then leaving with Neytiri.