First Days : Part 9

Early in the morning hours, just before sunrise, the older Sully kids are given a ride to the massive school campus. With them are Tonowari's children. Their raft is pulled into a long curved stream in front of the school's entrance. Many older students are arriving on their own Ilu, that will come back for them at the end of school hours.

As they each get off the raft and take in the sight of the immense place, many looks are directed at them. It's unusual for there to be newcomers three weeks into the year.

Some look at them with bias, but many also look at them with interest. A few boys, and Rotxo, walk by in a group, snickering at Aonung's annoyed expression.

The Sullys move slowly, taking everything in, but their school has a strict schedule and Aonung isn't trying to get into trouble.

There are three generations in the school. Generation 1 being around 13 or 14 years of age. Generation 2 being around 15 or 16 years of age. Generation 3 being around 17 or 18 years of age. The students have shortened their titles to Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3.

Each Gen has five courses to take. The first three are physically involved, which happen before lunch, and the two after lunch are in classrooms for the textbook side of learning.

The courses advance with each passing generation. Tsireya is a Gen 1, so like the Sullys she'll be learning these things for the first time. Aonung is a Gen 3, which is exactly why his father left him in charge of catching the Sullys up with him.

Neteyam is Gen 3, and Kiri and Lo'ak are Gen 2, but they'll have to start from the beginning, and quickly catch up to the rest of their generation. The process will be easier for Kiri and Lo'ak, since they only have to reach Gen 2, but Neteyam has to make his way up to Gen 3 in just a year.

As he watches the Sullys, Aonung thinks hard on how he alone has to get them where they need to be.

Aonung- Okay, this isn't a sightseeing trip. We have courses to get to.

Tsireya pouts a bit, she's also excited to be there with the Sullys. Lo'ak rolls his eyes and follows the marine boy as he leads the way to the entrance.

Lo'ak- Leave it to Aonung to take the fun out of everything.

Aonung stops right in front of the large door, then walks off to the side. The others follow him and he faces them with a serious expression.

Aonung- You don't get to have fun. Not until you guys are completely caught up. Which, by the way, I have to ensure. So I don't get to have any fun either.

Lo'ak- Boohoo.

Kiri giggles and Neteyam merely shakes his head.

Aonung- I'm serious! They're only giving me a week off my first three courses. I have one week to have you guys at least able to handle yourselves before I'm stuck jumbling my courses as well as you three. So don't fool around.

Lo'ak- Alright, drama queen, we get it.

Aonung leads them to the entrance again, finally letting them enter. The lobby is large, bright, and filled with Metkayina students, and the second floor has a mezzanine overlooking the area.

As they head to the cafeteria, a group of boys suddenly start whistling at them. Kiri looks their way, and one of them winks at her. She looks forward, hiding how easily flattered she is. The last thing she wants them to think is that she's easy.