First Days : Part 33

Ronal suddenly comes from the dark living room, storming over to him. Someone turns on the lights, making him look to the switches, seeing his father standing there with a scowl.

Tonowari sends the butler to retrieve Neteyam's parents.

His mother points to the living room, and the boys stroll over to sit, partially dry after going so fast in the stream. She sits on the sofa across from them, and Tonowari stands with his arms folded.

When Jake and Neytiri arrive, Neytiri is quick to rush over to Neteyam, checking him for injuries before sitting elsewhere.

As the parents observe, Aonung seems to be the only one that's been through something.

Neytiri- Are you alright, Neteyam?

Neteyam- Yes, mother.

Ronal- Where were you? Do you know how worried they were when they discovered their eldest boy had not returned with the others?

Aonung- We were just-

Tonowari- Shopping?

They look to Neteyam's new attire. Neytiri admires it, thinking it suits him.

Aonung- Y-Yes, after going for a stroll.

Tonowari- It's 10:00. You mean to tell me it took you seven hours to buy one top?

Aonung- We were window shopping first.

Tonowari- Let me see your card.

Aonung is reluctant, but pulls it from his pouch and hands it to his angered father. He turns it over, focusing on the balance. The digital number always shows how much is left.

Tonowari- You've depleted it to just under a hundred. Is that top all you bought?

Aonung- Yes.

Tonowari looks back at his mate, both of them in disbelief.

Tonowari- If it was that expensive you should have left it there.

Aonung- It was an exclusive, those are always high.

Neytiri- Neteyam, why would you have Aonung buy such an expensive thing? You know better.

Neteyam- Sorry, mother.

Aonung- No, it wasn't his fault. I wanted to.

Tonowari- You wanted to spend this much on just one top that wasn't even for you?

Ronal- As nice as it is to see you warming up to the Sullys, you can't just disappear, and spend all of your money because of it.

Aonung- He needed it.

Tonowari- He needed something so expensive? I didn't think your children were the type to use people, Jake.

Jake- Th-

Neytiri- They aren't.

Tonowari- Then how do you explain this?

Ronal- Aonung, what happened to your leg?

Tonowari- And his face, and his thigh.

Red marks on his face, a cut on his leg, and also a bruise. Nothing he's saying they did adds up with that.

Aonung- The wind knocked us around a bit.

Ronal- Let me check.

Aonung- No, that's fine, mother, I'll patch it up myself.

Tonowari- Then why is he fine, did he use you as a shield?

Neytiri- Neteyam is capable of looking after himself.

Aonung- True, he does have great balance.

Tonowari- Then what of this money spent? He couldn't buy himself something to wear?

Neteyam- I left my money home.

Jake- As he always does, unless he knows he's gonna need it.

Ronal- Strange, our children do the opposite.

Tonowari- Excuses.

Aonung- Will you all just listen for a second?!