First Nights : Part 19

With that thought in mind, he glances back at the boy, meeting his eyes, then speeds up. It makes Neteyam go a bit faster, to not fall too far behind. He decides to show off a few things he was learning in Gen 3 before his week off.

Spinning, twirling, spiraling, those are really the only things he knows so far, but it seems to entertain Neteyam well enough.

He swims up to the base of a platform, and propels off of it, going towards Neteyam. The boy halts in the waters and Aonung loops around him before going off in another direction.

Neteyam quickly follows, and Aonung smiles, knowing he's already surpassed his limit. He wants to keep Neteyam from pushing it, but also wants to see just how long he can hold it.

They continue to glide through the water, with Aonung making himself as flashy as possible. He goes past the base of another platform, but once Neteyam reaches the same spot, something jumps out at him, and he involuntarily gasps, inhaling water.

Aonung snaps his gaze back as he hears the disturbance and zooms back over to him, hooking his arm around the boy's torso, and pulling him up to the surface.

Neteyam gasps again, and starts coughing as he pulls him to the shallower waters near the small platform.

Once he can stand, Aonung lifts the coughing Omatikaya into his arms and carries him onto the platform. He sits him down, patting his back a bit as he tries to clear his lungs of the water he breathed in.

Someone rises from the water and pulls up onto the platform. Aonung shoots a glare towards them, then sees familiar near white eyes.

Xenji- Damn, I didn't think he'd gasp underwater. Is he alright?

Aonung- What the hell were you thinking?!

Aonung stands and walks up to his friend, seething.

Xenji- I was just messing around. I didn't kn-

Aonung- Don't fuckin' play like that!

Xenji stands shocked. Aonung is ignoring his clear concern for the one he scared. His ears lay a bit, in fear of his friend's rage that he knows well.

Neteyam- Aonung, calm down.

They both turn and see Neteyam coming towards them, letting out a few small coughs, but otherwise fine.

Neteyam- It was an accident. Don't get so bent out of shape, he's a friend of yours.

Aonung- You're sure you're okay?

Neteyam- Yes. Once I saw it was him I was fine. He's stupid but I don't expect him to intentionally cause me harm.

Aonung's face softens just a bit as he calms himself down with a breath. Xenji looks between the two, but despite both being calm now, his fear doesn't fade.

Xenji- You said you wouldn't do it again.

Aonung feels a sudden pang of pain.

Aonung- I know what I said.

He speaks calmly, as if he's about to attempt to reason with his friend, but Xenji takes a step back.

Xenji- Aonung, seriously . . .

Aonung- It'll be fine, alright?

Xenji- Are you fucking kidding me? Rotxo's gonna flip.

Aonung- Don't mention a thing to him.

Xenji- Go to school like this and I won't have to.

Aonung- Listen-

Xenji- No. I'm not doin' this shit again.

He quickly turns and heads back into the water, leaving Aonung with a deep sigh. Neteyam glances at the spot his friend dove into, then to Aonung himself.

Neteyam- What was that about?

He meets Neteyam's gaze almost reluctantly, then rubs the back of his neck nervously.

Aonung- Some crazy shit happened last year.

Neteyam- Crazy shit involving Rotxo?

Aonung- I'd rather not talk about it.

Neteyam leaves him be, for now. He didn't care too much about Tsireya mentioning his old relationship, people date and fail all the time, but even though Aonung and Rotxo are still friends, it's starting to seem like things aren't as fine as he thought.