First Nights : Part 32

The Sully boys exchange a look, and Neteyam rubs his brother's back. He can tell he feels responsible for Aonung having to do this to himself.

Neteyam- It isn't your fault, bro. It's Rotxo's.

Lo'ak- We have to do something about him.

Pike- There's nothing we can do. If we tell the authorities about him, he'll expose Aonung.

Neteyam- So you expect us to just sit here and let that happen?

He gestures to Rotxo and Aonung in the distance.

Pike- Yes. Aonung did this to keep you far from trouble. Far from Rotxo. Don't undo his efforts by getting involved. Please, for his sake.

Neteyam- Letting him be smothered by that damn munchkin isn't what's best for him.

Lo'ak- Neteyam-

Neteyam- Don't try to change my mind.

Pike- Please, Neteyam. Getting involved might honestly make things worse for him.

With a heavy sigh, Neteyam runs his hands along his face. He can't just leave Aonung to deal with Rotxo by himself after he's helped him so much.

Pike- Let's not forget his vow. If you interfere, it'll anger Rotxo, and he'll punish you by punishing Aonung.

Lo'ak- That's insane.

Pike- It's the truth, and you know Aonung won't fight back.

Neteyam thinks of the time he attacked Aonung unknowingly the night they stayed after prohibited hours. When he came to, Aonung was just laying there. He just took the beating that came to him, which he thought was weird before, but now he understands, and he hates it.

Pike- Just leave it be. At least until we all come up with a way to fix this. Deal?

Lo'ak- Deal.

Neteyam- . . .

Lo'ak- Bro, come on. If we do something we'll do it together.

Neteyam- (sighs) Deal.

Lo'ak watches as Neteyam nibbles at his food, going silent.

He's thankful to Aonung for helping him, but almost mad at him at the same time for not considering himself. He turned out to be so opposite from the first impression he made, but Lo'ak almost wishes he really was just a jerk so he wouldn't have to feel guilty for being the reason he trapped himself in hell.

When he first hooked up with Rotxo, agreeing to take information in exchange, what he was told made him not bother to ask for any more in the times later on.

"The wealthy are full of secrets."

He first thought Rotxo was just talking about Aonung, which scared him, but now he's starting to think the boy was also talking about himself.