Dark Nights : Part 18

The next Monday, Aonung finds himself more eager than ever to just get to school. It's like he can't move fast enough, he's filled with so much anticipation.

Due to her taking this close monitoring very seriously, Ronal decided to start making breakfast, rather than wonder if Aonung ate any at school, but the boy's appetite seems as healthy as ever. He zooms through his food, nearly choking, which makes his mother chuckle at him.

Ronal- Slow down, Aonung, you're gonna hurt yourself.

Aonung- I'm fi-(coughs) Okay-(coughs) I'll slow down.

She hands him a glass of water, and he gulps it down, making his sister laugh.

Ronal- So much for slowing down.

Tsireya- He's just excited to see his boyfriend.

The moment he's done, he bolts out the door to take himself to school on his skimwing, and zooms through the streams until he's on campus. Hopping onto the sidewalk, he momentarily looks around to see if any of the Sullys are there yet, but none are in sight so he goes inside.

Many students stare at him, because they either heard what went down or are wondering where he was last week. He hardly cares about their lingering eyes though.

He makes his way to the cafeteria and straight to their table, where his friends Xenji, Zanin, and Pike are already talking, along with Yar, who he doesn't really care for at all. Once he comes up to the table, the entire conversation stops, and their focus shifts to him.

Zanin- Aonung! Bro, Lo'ak told us what happened.

Yar- Fuckin' blabber mouthed it to everyone.

Zanin- Damn right.

Xenji- You doin' alright, bro?.

Zanin- Aonung?

Pike- Hey, are you listening?

He was listening, until he turned around and saw dark blue figures entering the cafeteria. He watches them approach, not bothering to sit down. Kiri parts from her brothers and goes to her table, then Neteyam meets Aonung's gaze from afar, making his chest ache with longing.

As they get closer and closer to him, his heartbeat quickens.

When they reach the table, Lo'ak glances at him then to Neteyam before taking a seat, knowing they'll need a moment.

As the older Sully boy walks up to him, feeling a bit nervous, half the cafeteria seems to be watching them, anticipating what'll happen next. Thanks to Lo'ak, most of them know at least a portion of what went down.

A battle for the crown between Rotxo and Neteyam. A fight between the lovers of Aonung. A dramatized story told by Lo'ak, which ultimately ended in his brother's victory.

After glancing around, seeing they're the center of attention, Neteyam focuses on Aonung. He was told to leave things be, but he did just the opposite. Though it did end well, he still expects Aonung to be upset with him.

Neteyam- Hey . . . Aonung . . .

The marine boy doesn't speak, which makes Neteyam more nervous, but Aonung is just letting the sound of his name coming from Neteyam's mouth continue to ring in his ears.