First Nights : Part 16

The oldest Sully boy's eyes creep open, letting in the soft light of day.

He momentarily closes them back, nuzzling his face deeper into his favorite blanket that he has folded to use as a pillow.

With a sigh, he reopens his eyes, looking across the room. His brother's bed is empty.

The clock on the wall reads 10:45. He's late. Him and Aonung were in the pool room practicing his diving again last night.

They ended up losing track of time and staying up later than planned. Mainly because Neteyam was determined to improve at least a little before stopping.

Slowly, he removes the comforter that covered him, and leans up, holding his arms out to stretch. After a yawn, he wipes the sleep from his eyes, and stands. He stretches once more, relieving his body of the stiffness that comes with sleep.

After a brief wash up, he heads downstairs. As he goes into the kitchen, he can hear the distant giggles and splashing of his sisters, and likely Tsireya as well, from the pool room.

Their parents are gone to work, minus Ronal who's in the living room knitting something with music playing softly. Lo'ak had mentioned he would be hanging out with a friend, so he'll be out of the picture today.

Neteyam warms a couple pancakes to eat. There weren't many on the platter, since it was served earlier.

After his food is warm, he pours himself some juice, and takes his breakfast to the dining room. He momentarily returns to the kitchen, to grab a fork, a knife, and syrup. As he sits down, he pours a bit of syrup next to his pancakes to dip in.

Just as he begins to eat, Aonung descends the stairs, greeting his mother once he reaches the bottom. Neteyam opens his mouth to greet the boy as he hears him walking towards the kitchen, but his words get stuck in his throat.

The marine boy's hair is out, and it's the first he's seen it like this, but what stops him is the black and gold necklace already around his neck.

Aonung casually walks by him with a small smile.

Aonung- Morning, baby Teyam.

He instantly snaps out of his small trance, looking back at Aonung with a weak glare.

Neteyam- Do not start calling me that.

The boy laughs as he goes into the kitchen, repeating the process Neteyam did for his breakfast, minus going back for syrup since it's already on the table.

When he sits down, beginning to eat, Neteyam observes how well the necklace looks on him. He's proud of his choice.

Aonung- Looks like we're both getting a late start. Know what you're doing today?

Neteyam- No, Lo'ak is usually-

Aonung- The center of your life? Yeah I know.

Neteyam- Is this really how you want to start your day? Getting your ass beat to death?

Aonung chuckles as he chews and swallows his food.

Aonung- Okay, I'll stop.

Neteyam- Good. Like I was saying. Lo'ak is usually the one with plans for both of us.

Aonung- Where is he anyway?

Neteyam- He's out with a friend.

Aonung- You wanna go out with a friend too?

Neteyam- And do what, get caught in a storm?

Neteyam is humored by himself and Aonung squints and points a finger at the giggling boy next to him.

Aonung- Don't do me like my mother does. It was one time.

Neteyam- One time to remember, and never let you live it down.

Aonung- Fuck you. Are we going out today or what?

Neteyam- What will we do?

Aonung- We could continue your training, at the park.

Neteyam- The park?

Aonung- Don't worry, it's not that deep. You can stand up in it. Well, parts of it.

Neteyam- I don't know.

He observes Neteyam's uncertainty showing on his face. He's sure the boy can handle it, he just has to convince him to go out there.

Aonung- . . . Yeah maybe you're right, you probably can't do it without freaking out.

The slight concern is replaced with instant irritation, almost making Aonung smirk, but he holds his plain face.

Neteyam- What?

Aonung- I mean, you haven't even swam into the deep end of the pool yet, so . . .

Neteyam- So what? I could dive in the deep end, I'm progressing.

Aonung- Yeah, slowly.

Neteyam- You think I can't do it?

Aonung- Well, only one way to find out.

Aonung lets his smirk show as he turns to face Neteyam.

Aonung- If you can dive in the park, the deep end will be a simple task.

Neteyam- Then let's do it.

Neteyam stands, grabbing his and Aonung's empty plates to place in the sink, then returns.

Neteyam- Come on.

Aonung stands with a chuckle, humored by how well his fake remarks of doubt riled Neteyam up. As they head towards the door, Aonung pulls a holder off his wrist and ties his hair up.

Ronal- Do you boys need a chauffeur?

Aonung- No thanks, mother, we're taking my skimwing.