First Days : Part 15

As Fore calls the Ilu, Jokester, over, a big smile stretches across Lo'ak's face. Tsireya doesn't need to call one over for Kiri, because the creatures seem to be naturally drawn to the girl. She takes her pick, and Tsireya shows her how to get on. Neither of the girls notice a certain boy showing much interest in Kiri.

Neteyam's siblings take to their training well, but he hasn't bothered to even go into the water. Aonung jumps into the pool, purposely splashing the forest boy. Making Neteyam finally look him in the eyes, clearly irritated.

Aonung- Let's get started, before your siblings leave you behind.

He rolls his eyes, then slowly, begins to slide himself into the water. He goes deeper, and deeper, and his feet never seem to reach the bottom. It makes his heart race as the water level gets closer to his chest. Until finally, his feet reach the pool's floor.

He lets out a breath, and Aonung just stands there annoyed that he took so long to get into the water. He assumes it was done agonizingly slowly just to piss him off, but he won't dwell on it, because he doesn't have the time to.

Still a bit annoyed, he clicks and calls an Ilu over to him, but Neteyam is still at the edge. He looks at the boy, confused about whatever his malfunction is.

Aonung- How do you plan to ride it from over there?

Too focused on the looming feeling of insecurity, he doesn't respond to Aonung, he just moves over to him and the Ilu, cautiously. From the outside, one would think his composure is intact, but his nerves are turning inside.

The Ilu happily greets Neteyam, and the boy rubs its snout. It momentarily soothes him, until Aonung starts instructing him further. He links his bond with the creature's, and feels its easy going nature. But when he gets onto its back, the Ilu can feel his internal panic, and refuses to move.

Aonung observes the creature, confused.

Aonung- Hey, uh, Mr. Fore?

The man looks over to the boys while helping Lo'ak back onto his Ilu.

Aonung- Is there something wrong with this one?

Mr.Fore- No, if you're having troubles it must be because of his rider.

Jokester suddenly zooms off, and Lo'ak screams in both excitement and fear.

Mr.Fore- Lo'ak, hold on! (groans) You just learnt how to get on, you aren't ready to speed through the water.

Lo'ak ends up falling off the Ilu, making their teacher mentally scream at this boy that just doesn't seem to listen. Aonung shakes his head at the handful their teacher is dealing with, then looks up at Neteyam, who still hasn't said a word.

Aonung- You heard him. The problem is you. Are you telling it to move? Or are you telling it to stay still to piss me off?

Neteyam- No.

Aonung- Then move it.

After Neteyam takes a deep breath, the Ilu moves forward. As he watches it slowly begin to dive, he suddenly finds it hard to breathe. As his head gets closer to the water, his breath hitches, and he starts taking small gasps rather than full breaths of air.

The moment his head goes completely underwater, his heart beats so rapidly he can't take it anymore. He detaches himself from the creature and gasps at the surface, erratically making his way back to the edge of the pool, and climbing out.

He pulls himself up onto the floor and lies on his stomach, breathing heavily, and trying to forget the uncomfortable feeling that overtook him in the pool. This attracts the attention of most of the kids in the room, and Aonung exchanges a confused look with Mr. Fore.