Dark Days : Part 23

Outside, Neteyam still clings to Aonung as they ride back to the Sullys' house in the limousine. Kiri is quick to turn off the loud music, but the ride back is far from silent, with Neteyam's still going sobs filling their ears.

Once they reach home, Aonung carefully carries a now quiet Neteyam out of the raft and onto the porch, where Lo'ak quickly bangs on the door.

Their parents aren't expecting them back until later, figuring they'd stay at the party the whole time, so when Jake opens the door and sees them he's shocked for more than one reason.

Lo'ak storms in angrily, and Aonung calmly walks in, not wanting to wake Neteyam, who suddenly fell asleep towards the end of the ride, leaving himself completely vulnerable in Aonung's hold. Jake helps him lie the boy down on the couch, rather than making him go all the way upstairs with him.

Neytiri closes the door, then faces the teens with the same worry as Jake.

Jake- What happened?

Kiri- Lo'ak wasn't watching him.

Lo'ak- Yes I was.

Kiri- You let him go off somewhere with a stranger.

Lo'ak- Yar isn't a stranger, both me and Neteyam know him.

Jake- But you let him out of your sight?

Lo'ak- He was-

Jake- Don't you remember the conversation we had before?

Lo'ak rolls his eyes, thinking of how Jake had discussed with both Lo'ak and Kiri how they should remain cautious with Neteyam in such a loud environment. He knows he's never had a problem with music before, but he can never be too sure.

Lo'ak- He loves music, dad, it never bothers him.

Jake- Then what the hell caused this?

Aonung- The room he was in was cluttered. Maybe something fell.

Jake- Room? What room?

Kiri- The room he went to with a stranger.

Lo'ak- Kiri, I swear. His name is Yar.

Kiri- Still a stranger to me.

Jake- Somebody better give me a full damn explanation, now.

Neteyam- Dad?

They each turn and see Neteyam leaning up on the couch, wiping his face. Jake kneels in front of him, briefly checking him for any physical harm.

Jake- Hey, you okay?

Neteyam- Yeah.

Jake- What happened at the dance?

Lo'ak- Don't ask him that.

Jake- No one else is giving a clear answer, so I'm going directly to the source.

Lo'ak storms over to Jake's side and stands in front of him.

Lo'ak- Don't ask him that.

Kiri- Lo'ak, what the hell? We all wanna know.

Lo'ak- Ask tomorrow.

Jake- No, we're figuring this out tonight.

Lo'ak- Let him rest.

As his brother and father argue, Neteyam notices Aonung going to let himself out. When he walks up to the door, Neteyam jumps up, running over to stop him. His family observes, perplexed by his behavior. The marine boy sighs in annoyance as Neteyam blocks the door.

Aonung- What are you doing?

Neteyam- Don't leave.

Aonung- Look, I'm in enough trouble already, I can't stay here.

Neteyam- Please.

Aonung- Don't fuckin' beg me, why don't you invite your little friend over.

Neteyam- I'm sorry.

Lo'ak- No.

Lo'ak walks up to Aonung with a snarl.

Lo'ak- This shit right here is exactly what Neteyam doesn't need.

Aonung- What the hell is your problem tonight?

Lo'ak- You! You are my fucking problem!

Aonung- Me?! After what I've done for you, you have a problem with me?!

Lo'ak- Fuck what you did for me! It's all bullshit! The only thing you've done is cause Neteyam problems!

Aonung- Are you fucking serious?!

Jake- Lo'ak, calm yourself.

Lo'ak- If it weren't for you he never would've gone through this shit! It's your fault he wanted to get laid by somebody he doesn't even like!

Aonung- My fault?!

Lo'ak- If it weren't for your stupid ass he would've been perfectly fine tonight, and every other night!

Aonung- If it weren't for me, he still wouldn't be able to get into the damn water!

Lo'ak- I could've helped him without you!

Aonung- Dumbass, you're the one who told me you couldn't!

Lo'ak- No the fuck I didn't!

Kiri- Lo'ak, what the hell is wrong with you? You let Neteyam go off without you, then you hurt yourself breaking a glass, and now you're making no sense.

She looks at him with concern, but he doesn't know how to answer her question. He's beyond irrationally angry, and he's overwhelming even himself.

Jake- Half his problem is the damn bonding.

He shakes his head, his rage almost at its peak.

Neytiri- Jake-

Jake- I told you this would happen. I told you. Every time they bond he gets worse, and I swear if that boy gets any more possessive I'm gonna lose my shit.

Neytiri- Neteyam is still fine.

Jake- Neteyam isn't the one that's been clinging to his brother his whole life, Lo'ak is.

Neytiri- So what are you saying?

Jake- This ends now.

Neytiri- Jake, don't.

Lo'ak looks at his father with a bit of fear arising in him.

Jake- No more tsaheylu with each other. Neteyam can find another way to calm himself down if he needs to, but you're done doing that. Understand?

He looks at Neteyam, seeing him nod his head obediently.

Lo'ak- Neteyam-

Neteyam- He's right. I don't mind you being this way, but I'm also aware that it causes problems for others sometimes. Like now, because you're being irrational.