First Days : Part 8

Upstairs, Lo'ak is sitting on the floor with Neteyam, both nearly finished eating.

Lo'ak- It isn't fish sticks, but I wasn't too far off.

Neteyam shakes his head in response as he wipes his hands with a napkin, finished with his food. Lo'ak then finishes  his and sits his plate aside.

Lo'ak- What'd you think?

Neteyam- It was alright. I'm not that into seafood.

Lo'ak- I thought it was pretty tasty. Who knew those cute little guys had such a flavor.

Neteyam- Cute huh?

Lo'ak- Yeah. What, you don't think they're cute?

Neteyam- They're food.

Lo'ak- So? That doesn't mean they aren't cute before we kill and eat them.

Neteyam- (chuckles) I love your outlook, bro.

As eclipse turns the sky dark, both boys look out the large windowed doors that lead to their balcony.

Lo'ak- Wanna look at the stars?

Neteyam- Yeah.

Kiri- Let me join.

They look to the doorway and see Kiri walking in as they stand from the floor.

Lo'ak- Where's Tuk?

Kiri- Going to sleep. Beating the crabs herself wore her out.

They laugh lightly as Neteyam opens the doors to the balcony, and they all walk out and lean on the railing. Looking at the stars, and appreciating the lack of buildings around them that would block their view if they were in the middle of the skyscrapers.

Kiri- What do you guys think of this place? Think we'll like living here?

Lo'ak- Hell yeah. I can't wait to ride one of those sea creatures. They looked so cool.

Kiri- You're such an optimist.

Lo'ak- It's part of my charm.

Kiri- Well that charm of yours didn't seem to work on Aonung, or his little friend.

Lo'ak- That's because they're assholes.

Kiri and Neteyam both laugh at Lo'ak's deadpan, but Kiri quickly resumes her previous worrying.

Kiri- Seriously, Lo. What if kids at school act the way they did?

Lo'ak- Well, Tsireya wasn't all bad, but only because our big bro is sexy as hell.

Neteyam rolls his eyes playfully, with a slight shake of his head, and Kiri smiles at him with a laugh.

Lo'ak- She's cute, too, you should go for it.

Neteyam- Hell no, then I'd have to deal with Aonung the rest of my life.

Lo'ak- Point taken.

Kiri- But if she starts coming onto you, you know he's gonna forget the point you just made.

Neteyam- Mhm.

Lo'ak- I can't even argue with that.

The older two laugh at Lo'ak once again, before returning to Kiri's more serious topic.

Neteyam- I think we'll be fine in school, though. We'll just stick together, and keep to ourselves.

Lo'ak- Just until we know how they feel about us, right?

Neteyam glances at his brother, then looks back up at the sky, thinking.

Neteyam- Mmm.

Kiri- Tey, come on. We wanna make friends.

Neteyam- (sighs) If they don't hate us, be as friendly as you want.

Lo'ak- Yes!

Kiri- Sshhh.

Lo'ak- Oops.

They chuckle at Lo'ak once more before watching the stars in comfortable silence. A short while later, Kiri gets tired and retires to her and Tuktirey's bedroom. Not long after that, the brothers realize their own exhaustion as well, and turn in for the night.

While Lo'ak sprawls himself out on his bed, Neteyam bundles himself into his blanket to feel safer as he sleeps in this new place. This uncharted territory that could be full of hidden dangers really unsettles him. But with his brother nearby, and his protective blanket around him, he manages to fall asleep at ease.

Luminous Nights [Neteyam x Aonung]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें