First Days : Part 24

Did Aonung hear that right? Lo'ak said Neteyam doesn't trust anyone, but here he is calling him trustworthy.

Aonung- You think I'm trustworthy?

Neteyam- Potentially.

Aonung- But don't you hate me?

Neteyam- I never said that.

Aonung- You acted like it.

Neteyam- You misread my actions.

Aonung- Hm.

He slides himself down to the floor, propping his arms up on his knees. Neteyam looks down at him from his same stance.

For the next thirty minutes or so, they're silent. The marine boy begins to yawn in boredom, but prevents himself from nodding off. Meanwhile, Neteyam is perfectly fine, he's used to lying in wait for hours waiting for the right time to make a move.

Aonung- Do you hate the water because you're afraid to drown?

Neteyam looks down at the drowsy boy.

Neteyam- Where did that come from?

Aonung- 'Cause if that's why, then I think I can help.

Neteyam- How?

Aonung- Think of it like this. In the war you had comrades, your allies.

Neteyam starts to interrupt, thinking he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Neteyam- Aon-

Aonung- When I finally help you in the water, I'll be like your ally.

Neteyam- My . . .

His eyes widen at the comparison. He watches as Aonung yawns yet again, his eyes barely opening afterwards.

Aonung- I won't let you drown, so, don't worry.

With that, he falls asleep, leaving Neteyam standing there, once again, intrigued. Neteyam may not have put his full trust in Aonung yet, but he seems to be fine with him, falling asleep and becoming completely vulnerable right in front of him.

Though, if he thinks about it from the perspective of a civilian rather than a soldier, it's a very common thing among peers. So there's no need to think too much of it, yet, Neteyam still sees it as a sign. One of trust.

Presenting one's complete vulnerability in front of him like this, he can't help but take it that way. Personally, he wouldn't have presented such a thing so soon, but who is he to judge when he just decided he wants to trust this boy after only one day with him.

The hours pass, and Neteyam has remained awake, but decided to sit on the floor at some point before. Suddenly, the lights shut off, with their only source coming through the windows in the cafeteria, dimly lighting the bathroom.

Neteyam opens the stall door, letting some light in, then looks at the still sleeping boy. He slid completely to the floor a couple hours earlier, and is now curled up on his side.

He isn't sure how he should wake him. If Aonung's anything like Kiri, he'll get punched in the face the moment he wakes. If he's anything like Lo'ak, he'll never be able to wake him.

Still unsure, he decides to call his name. His voice comes out subconsciously low, since he isn't sure if speaking any louder would get them caught.

Neteyam- Aonung . . . Aonung, it's time.