First Days : Part 21

Aonung leads him down the long hallway and to his next course. Kiri is already sitting at a table, but Lo'ak isn't in the room. They walk over to Kiri's table, looking around the room as the bell rings.

Neteyam- Where is Lo'ak?

Kiri- I don't know. Tsireya was looking for him but then she had to go to class.

Neteyam- He wouldn't just skip, something must've happened.

Neteyam turns to leave the room but Aonung puts a firm hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

Aonung- No, just wait here. I'll go find him, alright.

Kiri looks at Neteyam, silently asking if they should leave the situation in Aonung's hands. He glances from his shoulder to Aonung, and the boy removes his hand. Then Neteyam places himself in the seat next to Kiri.

Neteyam- Hurry up.

With a quick nod, Aonung runs out of the room, and the teacher looks his way in confusion, but shakes it off, knowing Aonung is looking after their new students this week. Neteyam's gaze lingers on the doorway, and Kiri looks at him with curiosity.

Kiri- You spoke to him.

He slowly turns his attention to his sister.

Neteyam- What of it?

Kiri- Don't give me that, I know you.

Neteyam- You guys said he was a jerk.

Kiri- He is. Or was.

Neteyam- He seems a little different to me.

Kiri- Different how?

Neteyam- At first, he seemed uncomfortable.

Kiri- And now?

He thinks deeply for a moment, and Kiri observes, awaiting her brother's keen insight.

Neteyam- Scared.

Kiri- What?

Neteyam- He acts like he's scared of something.

Kiri- (scoffs) Of what? Failing a course?

Neteyam- I know the behavior when I see it.

He gives her a serious look, which makes her a bit concerned.

Kiri- Neteyam, I know you're really skeptical about this place, but. There's nothing here to be afraid of.

Neteyam- Maybe it's his parents?

Kiri- Well, yeah, maybe.

Neteyam- Or maybe not.

Kiri- Okay, I'm not following.

He leans forward, resting his elbows on the table, and locking his fingers together.

Neteyam- Neither am I.

Their teacher clears her throat, ending their soft spoken conversation.