First Nights : Part 3

Neteyam calls his Ilu over, making the bond and climbing on. He rides past Lo'ak, taking in a few breaths. Lo'ak goes up to Aonung with a smirk.

Lo'ak- Telling him he can't do something only makes him want to prove you wrong, even if you are right.

Aonung- It's annoying as hell.

Neteyam dives under, making Aonung move to jump in, but Lo'ak stops him.

Lo'ak- Hey, you want him to improve right?

Aonung- Yes, but-

Lo'ak- Just let him try this. Trust me, if I thought he was in danger I'd go after him myself, but he seemed fine.

Aonung- Alright.

Lo'ak- What made you criticize him today anyway? You've been babying him recently.

Aonung- I haven't been babying him.

Lo'ak- Dude, you act just like my dad does with him. Overprotective as hell, then you're critical, and then you're protective again.

Aonung- He's the one that wants me right there 24/7.

Lo'ak- And you just give him what he wants. That's another thing Dad does.

Aonung rolls his eyes at the comparison. He isn't trying to be over nurturing, it just happens. Silently, he curses his mother's kind genes, then Neteyam surfaces with a gasp for air.

Neteyam- How long was I under?

Lo'ak looks at Aonung, hoping the boy was counting, because he sure wasn't. Aonung simply starts laughing. As Neteyam slides off the Ilu, coming towards them, he looks up at him confused.

Neteyam- What's so funny?

Aonung- You were so determined to dive by yourself, but you still don't count on your own.

Neteyam- How the hell is that funny?

Aonung calms his laughter, seeing how serious Neteyam still is, then he sighs.

Aonung- Alright, I get your point. I'll show you Gen 3, but you're gonna need some extra training.

Neteyam- We're not staying after again are we?

Lo'ak- I still can't believe you guys got away with that.

Aonung- And I still can't believe you went and told Lo'ak.

Neteyam- It's not so surprising.

Lo'ak- Yeah, dude, he tells me everything.

Aonung- It was supposed to be a secret. Don't you know how friendships work?

Neteyam- I know how alliances work.

Aonung- That is not the same thing.

Lo'ak- Wait, you guys are friends now? I thought it was just beneficial.

Neteyam- He's my instructor.

Lo'ak- So it is just beneficial? Are you friends or not?

Neteyam- Well . . .

Aonung goes silent for a moment, feeling slightly embarrassed. He assumed they were friends now, but perhaps he was wrong and Neteyam is only like this with him because he needs his help.

The thought makes him feel a bit down, since he assumed earning Neteyam's trust meant he earned his friendship, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

Aonung- Uh, I guess not.

Lo'ak- Did you want to be friends?

Aonung- Right now, I'm not even sure he knows what that means.

Lo'ak- Well, he isn't really big on friendships.

Aonung- Ah, well, we don't have to be friends then. Come on, let's keep practicing.

Aonung slides into the water, and the Sully boys exchange a look, not missing the change in his tone.

Lo'ak- Looks like he does wanna be your friend.

Neteyam- What if I don't want to be?

Lo'ak- Why wouldn't you wanna be friends with him? I mean, you guys are practically inseparable these days.

Neteyam- Because he has to help me.

Lo'ak- Bro, don't play dumb with me, I know you.

Neteyam- Then you shouldn't have to ask me stupid questions.

Neteyam swims over to his Ilu, where Aonung is waiting. Once he's on its back, he dives under, and Aonung dives near the surface, watching him go through the course, and counting for him.

Meanwhile, Lo'ak is left in his thoughts, wondering why Neteyam wouldn't want to be friends with someone he's already opened up to.