Heart Shaped Pancakes

Trigger Warning: Loss of Pregnancy. Please read with care.

The next morning after Y/N fed the girls, she went to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. She came back a few minutes later while Severus was putting the girls in their highchairs. 

“I need to talk to you about something. I found out a few days ago that my period was late but the timing didn’t seem right for Baron. I know the girls are bigger when he is born. I didn’t want to tell you because I don’t believe this baby is one we get to keep. I don’t know of a delicate way to put it,” she announced softly when she walked into the kitchen.

His eyes locked with hers momentarily before returning to latching the highchair straps around Charlotte's shoulders. “I’m sorry,” he replied softly. “It’s fine. I would prefer to act as if it’s not happening right now,” she replied as she went to start the kettle for tea. 

“I do hope this isn’t something you lock away until it eats at you,” the man replied solemnly. “Are you sad?” she asked blankly as she started getting the tea out of the cabinet. “Of course,” he replied as he walked over, forcibly wrapping his arms around her. 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want to say anything until I knew for sure. I’m going to act as if it’s not happening to me. What are you making for breakfast?” she asked curiously.

 The man looked down into her beautiful face, studying each little curve and line. “What would my Princess like for breakfast?” he asked softly. “A joint,” she replied honestly. 

“Well how about a pain potion for starters? Pancakes and potatoes? I will make you some cute ones,” he offered as he stroked her cheek softly.

 “I’ll take it,” she replied before laying her face against his chest. The man stroked her hair for a moment, kissing the top of her head.

“I love you so much, Princess. Please try not to be too hard on yourself about this. You didn’t do anything to cause this. It’s not because you were enjoying your life too much if that's what you also believe. Things like this just happen sometimes,” he replied softly. 

“I need something,” she remarked as she looked up into his face. “Anything,” he replied. 

“There are a bunch of vintage cookbooks up in that cabinet I cannot reach. I want to read them but I know you don’t want me to stand on the counter,” she asked with a wide crazy expression. 

“Of course, a distraction. I’ll get them,” he replied as he broke away from their hug. The man got a chair from the dining table and pulled down the stack of vintage cookbooks.

 Y/N thanked him and grabbed the stack taking them over to the island so she could inspect them. 

“Part of me wants to try some of these wild recipes. I’ve seen cookbooks like these before in old shops. Half of these recipes involve gelatin molds and olives for some reason,” she chuckled. 

“So you wish to make something that is purposefully unappetizing?” he asked while taking ingredients out of the fridge for breakfast. 

She flipped through the book, holding up a page with a lime green gelatin mold with slices of tomato set inside it. “Girls look at this. Can you imagine? I love you both too much to feed you a gelatin mold. Your Papa is another story” she teased. 

“If you do make something, please, no gelatin molds. Perhaps, one of those pineapple upside down cakes or something,” he asked playfully.