Slow Dancing Together

Poppy wants Branch to dance with her and everytime Branch looks at her, she gives him butterflies.

“Dance with me!” The Pop Queen asked as the music playing changed.

Branch hadn't expected her the jump off the couch in such haste, also knocking over her scrapbook in the process. He watched as she moved the coffee table out of the way and turned the volume up.

Poppy was practically beaming as she took Branch's hands in her own and pulled him off the couch. The survivalist couldn't remember the last time he’d seen her smile like that even though she smiled all the time. Placing his drink on the coffee table Branch joined her in the middle of the living room.

“Come on big guy, dance!” Poppy laughed, punching Branch's shoulder gently. Poppy was the type to dance like nobody was watching, then again most of the time nobody was.

“I mean, watching you is probably more entertaining,” Branch hummed as he tried to sneak back to the couch unnoticed.

His attempt was unsuccessful, and quickly found himself stuck on Poppy's substitute dance floor. She laced her fingers with his, moving their arms back and forth to the music. “See you’re a fine dancer!” Poppy teased.

“I have this feeling you might need to get your eyes checked,” Branch laughed nervously. He felt and probably looked like a noodle.

Poppy rolled her eyes and continued to dance, and with a sigh of defeat, Branch joined her.

Even after knowing her for years, Poppy still managed to accidentally give the man butterflies. A feeling that reminded him of their time after everything the faced together. Parties and all. As childish as it made him feel, he wouldn't trade the butterflies for anything.

“Uh hello? Earth to Branch?” Poppy said, waving her hand in front of his face, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Sorry, sorry, just lost in thought there,” Branch dismissed, smiling.

“If you don't wanna dance we can always—” The Pop Queen began to say, her expression shifting slightly.

“What? No, c’mere,” Branch cut her off, grabbing her hand and twirling her. “There’s nothing else I'd rather do than dance with you,” he whispered as he pulled her in by the waist, catching her off guard.

“Even if you feel like a noodle doing it?” she joked, cupping his face in her hands.

“Even if I look like one,” Branch corrected, pulling her into a kiss.

Poppy pulled away for a moment, resting her forehead against his. “I love you,” the pink girl whispered.

“I love you too,” Branch whispered back, before closing the space between them once more.