I want to Hold Your Hand

Poppy wants to hold Branch's hand but they are both too shy. Early Groppy vibes.

She had been going out with him for a while.

After years of quietly yearning for each other's affection she asked him out on a date. Branch was more embarrassed and red than she was when she finally told him she liked liked him.

Poppy felt maybe he only agreed to go out with her because was more flattered than anything else (trolls weren’t exactly lining up to date him) or pitying her for falling in love with him.

Though admitedly they began spending more time together, their relationship had no noticeable change from normal. It fustrated her to no end, but she understood that the mild former Grey troll was no Cassanova.

Poppy at least wanted to hold his hand. At the very least she wanted to hold his hand, put her head on his shoulder and sigh in bliss. But she had no idea what kind of man he was in terms of displays of affection, perhaps holding hands was too scandalous an action for someone like him. She could imagine that.

As they walked together down the streets of Pop Village on a “date” (she was unsure if you could call it that) Poppy couldn’t help staring at his hand and hoping to hold it, maybe link fingers and declare to the world “we are indeed a couple.” She reached out and hesitated, pausing before making any physical contact and pulling her hand back.

“I can’t tolerate this anymore,” Poppy sighed and stopped. She cradled her own hand and made a grunt of fustration.

“Poppy? Is something the matter?” Branch turned around and asked softly.

“No. Nothing at all.”

“Alright.”

Both stood in silence before she spoke again, “wh-why are you just standing there??”

“Because you’re not walking. I’m not leaving without you.” Branch lunged forward, grabbed her hand, and began walking somewhat dragging her reluctantly along.

“H-hey… you don’t need to pull me like that.”

“You looked like if I didn’t you’d never move forward."

Branch slowed down his pace and they walked side by side, him still gripping her hand tightly. When she looked up at his face, she saw a hint of red in his cheeks, and she suddenly understood.

The twice-shy couple had thought the exact same thing.

Poppy laced her fingers between his, and with a gentle squeeze both of them walked hand in hand down the street.