Fireflies

Branch takes Poppy to a special place for her to see glowing fireflies.

"Branch, where are you taking me?"

"I'll tell you in a minute. Just follow my lead!"

The pop queen nearly trips over a thick root as she tries her best to keep up with the survivalist.

First, Branch had roped her into following him out into the night, and now he isn't even going to tell her where they are going. Poppy feels like slapping him over the head and leaving him out here to go back to the shelter and sleep - she's really tired, what with spending the whole day hunting for food and such - but she finds her curiosity getting the better of her.

And so, Poppy has no choice but to "follow his lead" as he brings her through the forest. At least his hand, which is wrapped tightly around hers, is warm and comforting; it ensures her that, despite the darkness, they're still together. She doesn't even want to think of what will happen if they are to separate. Gods know what lurks in the bushes.

They finally arrive at a clearing, and before them is a river. Poppy can see the glittering ripples of water, the light of the moon casting its wondrous light unto the surface, as the currents lap gently against the shore. The breeze is calming; it ruffles Poppy's hair, teases his as well.

"Look, Poppy!" he whispers, pointing urgently at the river.

For a moment there The Pop Queen can't see a thing, but when she squints, she catches sight of a group of glowing red lights fluttering above the shore. She looks at him, puzzled, and Branch replies with a grin.

"I don't know what they're called either, but whatever," still with her hand in his, Branch creeps up to the glowing flies, hunched low, "they're pretty, aren't they?"

Poppy can only nod, transfixed by the sight. Really, he can come up with the most bizarre of things, but this is by the far the most rewarding. Poppy has never seen such creatures, Branch doesn't even know their names. It's like the blind leading the blind, but still, it's...nice.

The warmth engulfing her hand is still there. She looks down at their intertwined fingers, and then up at him.

And she pecks his cheek.

Branch turns on her, startled, nearly falling right onto his backside in shock. "What...what was that?"

She blinks at him, confused, and then she laughs.

The glowing insects disperse, flying off in every direction, but the two youths don't seem to care as they both focus on one another.

Poppy smiles, amused, as he stares at her with wide eyes. "Thanks...Branch."