Chapter 128 - Reassurance

Lily's POV

Day one of this break is as hard as I thought it would be. No morning text. No 'have a lovely day'. No 'I miss you'.

Of course I shouldn't be complaining. This is what I asked for. I wanted a break and I know that it means completely cutting off all means of communication with him. We didn't go through one day where we didn't talk to each other, whether it was through a call or text or video chatting. So, of course it's a bit weird, but, hopefully, I'll get used to it.

I've distracted myself the entire day by immersing myself in my schoolwork. I only took breaks to go to the bathroom and to eat.

Surprisingly, Harry hasn't contacted me at all and I'm not sure how I should take that. I know that he was angry when he left so I have no idea how he's feeling now. Of course I hope he's doing okay but I know that I won't be able to find out personally.

I shake my head, realizing that I'm drifting off again. I'm drifting off to the thoughts that I definitely shouldn't be thinking about right now.

At about five o'clock, as I'm about halfway done my paper, my phone starts ringing. My heart skips a beat, thinking it's going to be Harry but then I remember that I had set a different ringtone to his number. I've always had it different than everyone else. I remember changing it when he had left for tour for the first time.

I let out a breath of relief when I realize that it's not his ringtone. I look at the number, not knowing who it is. I hesitate to answer it but I know that Harry wouldn't try to call me using someone else's phone.

I take a deep breath before I hit the 'answer' button.

"Hello?" I answer nervously.

"Hello," a woman's voice speaks through the phone. "May I speak with Ms. Benson, please?"

The voice is unfamiliar but I'm just relieved it's not Harry.

"Speaking," I reply.

"Oh, hello. This is Sandra from the dog shelter. I just wanted to inform you that the puppy that you're adopting is ready to be picked up any time today. We're closed tomorrow so the next possible day would be Monday."

I completely forgot about the puppy. This entire week has been stressful that I didn't even remember about it. Since the party was last weekend, we weren't able to pick it up and now it's just completely left my mind this entire week.

I needed a break from everything so I can focus on school and now I have to take care of a puppy. I know that I can't expect Harry to take care of it. And it's not just because of the fact that he's touring right now but adopting a puppy was my idea so I know that it's my responsibility.

I breathe in deeply, not knowing what to do.

"Um...I'm just wondering but would it be possible to pick her up another day? I'm just so busy right now and I'm not sure if I'll be able to take care of it."

"Oh," she says. "I'm sorry but the paperwork is already done and it says that you have a certain timeline to pick it up. If you're unable to at this time, we're going to have to put her back up for adoption and we can't guarantee that she'll still be here when you come back."

I immediately consider it but as soon as I think about the puppy's face when Harry and I had seen it at the shelter, I know that I can't even think about not adopting her. I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. I knew that she would be my puppy as soon as I held her in my arms.

I can't imagine anyone else having her.

And the fact that Harry wanted her, too, I knew that she was ours, not just mine.