Chapter 146 - Christmas (part 2)

Harry's POV

"I don't wanna take it off."

I gaze down at Lily as she pouts and stares at the ring on her finger. We've been ready for the party for 20 minutes now and my family will be arriving soon. That means that Lily would have to take off the ring. So, for the past nineteen and a half minutes, I've been reassuring her that she would be reunited with it again soon.

I tighten my arms around her waist and place a kiss on her forehead but she still doesn't take her eyes off of it.

"We'll make sure to tell them right away. After dinner and after the opening of the presents, we'll tell them. I mean, if they find out right when they get here, they might bother us the entire time. At least if we wait a bit, we'll only suffer for the end of the party."

She fights off the smile threatening to spread across her face but a soft laugh escapes from her lips.

"But what if it gets lost? Or Luna accidentally eats it? Or a burglar comes in and takes it? Or the world ends and I'm not even able to wear it when we all die?"

I laugh out loud but quickly shut up when she looks up at me with her cute, scrunchy, angry face.

I clear my throat. "We'll keep it in a safe place, where no human, burglar or dog can get their hands or paws on it. As for the possible apocalypse, I'll rush to get it and make sure it's on your finger by the time the world ends."

Her cute, angry face softens into a small smile before she looks down at her hand once again.

"You better. But...if it came down to you or the ring, I'd rather have you by my side when it does."

"Geez, stop saying 'when' like it's going to happen. Your thoughts are so morbid on Christmas."

Finally, she laughs as she swats my arm.

"Don't worry, baby," I say. "I'll keep it safe."

I hold out my hand towards her and she pouts again, giving one more look at the ring before she slowly takes it off and places it on my open palm.

Carefully, I take it to my dresser and place it inside one of my ring boxes before I close it and place it in the back of one of my drawers, perfectly safe.

"It'll be here, safe and sound with my boxer briefs, when we come back and get it."

I turn around and stand in front of her again, placing my arms around her waist and pulling her to me. She leans her head against my chest and I lean down and place a kiss on the top of her head.

 She leans her head against my chest and I lean down and place a kiss on the top of her head

"I'm sorry I'm being so fussy about it," she says. "I just don't know what I'd do if I lost it. I know that you'd just get me another one but that one is so special. Nothing can replace it."

I sigh. "I know, baby. No need to apologize. I know exactly how you feel because...that's how I feel about you."

I feel my throat constrict as I think about it, not realizing until now that the way that she's acting towards her ring is exactly how I've been feeling about her since I first met her.