Chapter 65 - Gone

Playlist for this chapter:

Dreaming with a Broken Heart - John Mayer

One - Ed Sheeran

Photograph - Ed Sheeran

**

Harry’s POV

I’m startled awake when I feel the bed dip beside me. I’m attempting to pry my heavy and puffy eyes open when I feel a light hand brush along my cheek.

“Harry.”

That voice.

I snap my eyes open and look up to see the most heavenly view.

She’s here. Lily’s here and she’s smiling down at me with tears in her eyes. I’m frozen in my spot, still in shock and disbelief that she’s here. She caressed her fingers through my hair, just like she was doing before I had fallen asleep and then left me for the train.

I lift my head up. “Lily?” I whisper.

Her smile widens, a tear escaping.

I finally push myself up from the bed into a sitting position, my face finally leveled with hers. I bring my hand up and slowly rest my fingertips against her cheek, afraid that she’s going to disappear with my touch. But she doesn’t. She’s here.

“Lily? What are you doing here?”

“I got off the train.” Her smile widens, triggering mine. “I couldn’t leave you like I did. I…I love you, Harry. So much. I want to try. I want to make it work. No matter what happens, I know that we somehow find our way back to each other. You’re it for me, too.”

Hearing these words that I was dying to hear her say at the train station is honestly the best thing I’ve ever heard. I never thought that I would hear those words coming out of her mouth. She’s been so closed off from me when it comes to her feelings and hearing it all now, I could hear her say it over and over again and I’d never get tired of it.

“I love you so much, Lily. I love you. I love you. I love you,” I say in between quick kisses.

She takes my face in both of her hands, letting the kiss linger. I take my other hand and pull her closer, wanting no more distance in between us.

I start to feel lightheaded and at first, I think it’s because of the breathtaking kiss but then I realize that all of my senses and all of my surroundings are starting to fade.

I jolt upright in my bed, my hand reaching out in front of me where Lily was just a second ago. But she’s not there. I look around my room, looking for her, for any sign of her presence.

I find nothing. My room is as empty as my heart is. I close my eyes as I feel the pressure in my chest every time I remind myself that Lily’s gone. Lily’s on the train, putting more and more distance between us, physically and emotionally.

That’s why I attempted to fall asleep. I needed to. I couldn’t stand being here in my room, anywhere in my house and being reminded of her with everything I look at.

Driving home in my car reminded me of when she would play with the fingers of my free hand as I drove.

I pull her hand to my lips, kissing it as she looks adoringly at me. I place our hands back on her lap, letting it rest there as I continue to drive. I’m focusing on the road when I feel my ring being slipped off of my finger.