Chapter 37 - Confessions

Harry's POV

Lily makes no move to get up. She just stays motionless on the ground.

I crouch down beside her and I reach my hand out hesitantly.

"Lily, get up."

I nudge her shoulder, feeling electricity shoot from my hand to the rest of my body. This is the first time I've touched her skin since I hugged her at the airport before I left for Paris. It feels so long ago.

She groans. "No, just leave me here," she slurs.

I smile at her drunken state and I find myself taking my hand and brushing her hair out of her face and behind her ear. My hand stops abruptly when I see her looking up at me. My heart strains in my chest at the sadness in her eyes.

I rip my gaze away from her face and grab her arm, pulling her to lie down on her back.

"Come on, let's get you to the couch."

I take my other hand and place it behind her shoulder to pull her up into a sitting position. She puts her arms around my neck and I take one of my arms and wrap it around her waist and pull her up.

She must've had too much to drink because she wobbles as she attempts to walk.

"Alright, up you go."

She gasps when I pick her up bridal style, tightening her grip around my neck. I lead her to the couch and carefully set her down.

"I'll get you some water," I mutter, avoiding eye contact with her but I can feel her eyes on me. I go into the kitchen and grab her a glass before going to the sink and filling it up with water. Once it's finished, I turn off the tap. I take a deep breath, preparing myself for when I go back out there.

It was a shock to see her appear at my door - well, technically, stumbled at my door. She's wasted so I have no idea what her intention to come here is.

I finally force myself to turn around and head back to the living room.

"Here's some--"

I look up at her and see that she's clutching a throw pillow to her chest and her eyes are closed, not knowing whether she's asleep or not. I place the glass on the table and carefully sit beside her.

"Lily?" I whisper.

No response or movement.

"Lily," I say a little bit louder. "You should drink some water."

I see her eyes flutter open and she takes a deep breath. She slowly sits up straight and I grab the glass and hand it to her. She drinks it quickly before she places it back on the table.

I sit forward, staring at the table. "What are you doing here, Lily?"

I'm trying to keep my hard façade on. I'm still irritated from what happened at the after party. There's a reason that I left, I didn't want to see her anymore, especially as she flirted with one of my friends.

I realize that she didn't reply so I look over at her and see her looking at me with the same sadness in her eyes.

She takes in a shaky breath and starts to stand up. "I'm sorry, I'll leave."

I panic as she stands up. My hand has a mind of its own as it shoots out and grabs her wrist. She flinches at my touch and stares at it before her eyes trail to meet mine.

"I...I didn't mean it like that. I just..."

She's still staring at me and I can see her bottom lip quivering.