Chapter 46 - Pieces

Lily's POV

"Black or white?"

I look over at Eleanor as she holds out two of the same shirt in front of her, each of them a different colour.

I look between both shirts, determining which one would look best on her.

I point towards the black one. "That one."

She smiles and puts the white one back on the rack. "Good. I like this one, too."

I turn back to the rows of clothes in front of me, trying to find a new dress for future parties. I'm scanning through the different styles as two people staring at me catch my eye. I look up and see Harry and Louis quickly look away once I catch them staring at me. My eyebrows scrunch in confusion as they suddenly find interest in the shoes in front of them on the table.

Usually I wouldn't think it was weird but then I look down at the shoes and see that they're rows of stiletto pumps.

"Hey, do you know what's up with them? They've been acting weird since we got here," I ask Eleanor, not taking my eyes off of the two boys.

"I don't know. But honestly, they're always acting weird so I don't even bother anymore."

I laugh, trying to make myself believe her. Ever since this morning, especially once we left Louis and Eleanor's place, Harry's been acting weird. He was unusually quiet on the car ride here and now that he's with Louis, I've been seeing them whispering to each other and glancing my way occasionally.

Maybe he's telling him about me leaving near the end of August. But why would he need to be so secretive about it and why is he acting different around me?

Before I can contemplate other possibilities, Eleanor grabs my hand and pulls me after her. "Let's go try on stuff."

I follow her to the change rooms and wait for an employee to give us each of our own rooms beside each other to change. I decide to try on the pair of shorts and crop top first, stepping outside to look at the outfit in the floor length mirror.

I jump slightly when I see Harry sitting on the couch behind me.

"Harry. You scared me."

He smiles at me through the reflection before I catch him subtly raking his eyes down and back up by body. I would usually feel uncomfortable with it but, with Harry, it's not. I'm comfortable. It's like I've become used to him looking at me.

"That looks ho--...great. That, um, that looks great on you."

A blush appears on his cheeks at his near slip-up but I smile at him, assuring him that I didn't mind at all. If anything, I wish he had said what he originally wanted to say.

"Thanks. Where's Louis?"

He nods his head towards the door on the other side of Eleanor's dressing room. "He's trying on stuff."

I nod. "You're not buying anything?" I turn my body to the side to look at the outfit from the back.

He shakes his head. "No. I went shopping a few days ago with--"

My eyes quickly look away as he shuts his mouth. I know who he went with. I saw the pictures on TV when I was watching with Ed. I had quickly excused myself to the bathroom even though Ed had changed the channel.

I clear my throat after a few seconds of awkward silence. I make my way back to my dressing room.

"Um. I'll be right back."

I don't risk looking up at him so I quickly dart into my dressing room, shutting the curtain behind me. I take a deep breath, allowing myself to calm down enough to change into my next outfit.