Chapter 11 - Step One

Lily's POV

I went into my room while Ed got ready and took a shower before he has to leave for his meeting. I got my clothes ready to take a shower after Ed before I sat on my bed and pulled out my phone. I realized I got a text from Harry so I opened it up.

*Step one...I want you to sing and play the guitar by yourself first. I know it's been a while since you last played so it'd be good if you warmed up before I get there :)*

Harry was right. It's been a while since I last touched a guitar. The last time I played was before I had my finals for school. I guess it's a good idea that I warm up before I play in front of him. Who knows how rusty I am now.

*Sounds good :) I'm just gonna take a shower and I'll start right away. I'll text you when you can head over*

I told Harry before that I would text him when Ed was gone so he could come over. It also worked out in our favour that Ed was going to a party tonight and that he would stay over at his friend's tonight. He invited me but I'd rather spend the night with Harry.

Ed yelled from the hallway that he was done so I grabbed my clothes and headed to the bathroom. I quickly showered and blow-dried my hair before going back into my room to get ready. Ed left right before I finished and he told me to text him if I needed anything.

Typical Ed.

I almost smacked myself on the head as I realized that I forgot to ask him something. I ran after him before he left, just as he was walking out the door.

"Hey, Ed. Is it alright if I borrow one of your guitars? I was wanting to play a bit."

Ed smiled at me. "Yeah, of course. Go ahead."

"Thanks. See you later. Have fun tonight." I smiled and waved at him before he walked away. I closed the door and headed to his room. I opened the door and walked in and headed towards the row of guitars that Ed had along one wall of his spacious room. I looked between the three acoustic guitars that he had before I decided to choose his Martin guitar. It was smaller than the others and would be perfect for me.

I grabbed it from the stand before carefully walking back to my room. I sat on my bed and put the guitar in my lap. I just glided my fingers along the neck of the guitar, familiarizing myself again with the feel of the strings underneath my fingertips. I strummed each string, making sure it was tuned. The sound of the strings resonating around the room instantly brought back memories of when I would play the guitar for hours until my fingers were sore. It reminded of how much I love music and how happy it made me. It reminded me of how I was able to escape from life and get lost in this world where I can make something great out of a simple guitar.

I started off with playing simple chords and simple strumming before I started getting into it and playing more complicated chords and patterns. And soon enough, I found myself singing along with no care in the world.

This is what I love to do. This is what I want to share with the world. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I was getting so lost in the sounds of the guitar that it took me a while to realize that someone was knocking on the door.

I placed the guitar on the bed before rushing to the front door. I opened it up and saw Harry looking worried before he looked up at me with a smile.

"For a second, I thought you weren't here. I was calling you a few minutes ago," he said. I let him in before I closed the door.

"Sorry. I was so into playing that I didn't even hear my phone ring. I almost didn't realize you knocking." I chuckled lightly in embarrassment. Harry turned around to face me, a smile still present on his face.