Chapter 21 - What I Want

Lily's POV

One week later

"Do you have to go?" I pout at Ed as he finishes packing. He found out two days ago that he had to go to LA to record some songs in the studio and that he'd be there for a week. He's leaving today.

"I do. I'm really sorry, Lily. I know I said that I wouldn't be working too much this summer but these were last minute plans. They want me to finish this album soon so that I can go on tour."

I sigh. "I know. It's okay, I understand. I'm just gonna miss you, that's all."

He stands up and looks over at me. "I'm going to miss you, too. But I'm sure that you won't miss me too much with the girls here."

I just smile at him and nod.

"So, what's going on between you and Harry?"

I tense and I look at him with wide eyes. Just as he looks back at me, I compose myself.

"Um. What do you mean?" I ask.

He turns his focus back on his suitcase and shrugs.

"Nothing. I've just been wondering why you two don't spend as much time together as much as before. You used to spend almost every day together and now you guys hardly do."

"Oh." I pause, hoping that he'll leave the topic but he looks over at me, waiting for an answer.

"He's just been busy with work."

His eyebrows scrunch together. "Really? Cause I've been chilling with him lately."

Shit.

Of course they've been hanging out. They're best friends.

"And he's been asking about you."

I snap my head towards him, my heart skipping at beat.

He's been asking about me? Why? He's been ignoring me since he broke up with me. When the group would hang out, he would always be as far away from me as possible. I would try to build up the courage to go over to him to talk to him but I would always chicken out. The fact that he's going out of his way to stay away from me is enough to make me scared to talk to him.

But it also upsets me.

"Oh yeah?" I say, trying to play it cool. "What'd you tell him?"

He's back to focusing on packing. Luckily, he doesn't seem suspicious about why Harry would be asking about me.

"I told him you were fine. But I've been noticing too that you've been a bit down lately. Is something wrong? Is it Marcus?"

I tense again.

"Oh. Um, no. Nothing's wrong."

"And what about Marcus?" There's an edge to his voice.

"What about him?" I ask, sounding a bit defensive.

I know that he doesn't know anything about what's going on with Marcus and his mom so I can't really blame him for how he feels towards him right now.

"Harry told me that you two have been in touch again."

"What?"

How did Harry know?

Wait...

"Are you?" Ed interrupts my thoughts.

"Um...yeah. He was just calling to ask if he could have some of his stuff back. I told him that he can pick it up when I go back."

I had to lie to him. I can't tell him about Marcus' mom. At least, not yet. It wasn't my place to tell him about it.